Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #91
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
... Many of his recent works are almost direct attacks on the anti-evolutionists and although I agree with him, it does get a bit tiring.
Perhaps; but someone's got to do it, and it's good that someone with Dawkin's knowledge of the subject and his immense writing and speaking skills has decided to step up to the plate.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #92
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
Okay, you have piqued my curiosity. Why not Stiff? (And yes I have been running around cheerleading for it but the truth is I have already read it, didn't vote for it and am kind of hoping for something I haven't read to win so I have no real self-interest here in promoting it).

Mel
Well, from the quoted opening lines in PilotBob's introductory description it does sound pretty funny, but then (per Zipr's post today) "fresh severed head sitting in roasting pans..."

Not squeamish about death, love satire about it, but...well, put it this way, I could never be a nurse or doctor. Never got past gagging through two diapering periods and still gag cleaning up after puppies.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #93
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
You might want to check out these two sets of excerpts. They are pretty representative of the book as a whole (one of them includes the roasting pan reference so you can get the whole context).

http://www.maryroach.net/stiffExcerpts.html

http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/i...ok_number=1230

This should give you a better idea if the book is for you.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #94
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
You might want to check out these two sets of excerpts. They are pretty representative of the book as a whole (one of them includes the roasting pan reference so you can get the whole context).

http://www.maryroach.net/stiffExcerpts.html

http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/i...ok_number=1230

This should give you a better idea if the book is for you.

Mel
The more I read about it, the more I want to read the book... So, it'll be my book for the month regardless of which book wins...

Our body is just a 'shell' for lack of a better word, and I'm interested in knowing, what will happen to my 'shell' after I no longer need it..

I have 'prepared' quite a few dead bodies, as in laid them out for their families (which means washing and redressing them, change sheets etc. - make sure their teeth are in properly...).. Even though they were dead, I still talked them through the procedure - just so used to it...

But... I never knew what happened after that...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #95
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
The more I read about it, the more I want to read the book... So, it'll be my book for the month regardless of which book wins...

Our body is just a 'shell' for lack of a better word, and I'm interested in knowing, what will happen to my 'shell' after I no longer need it..

I have 'prepared' quite a few dead bodies, as in laid them out for their families (which means washing and redressing them, change sheets etc. - make sure their teeth are in properly...).. Even though they were dead, I still talked them through the procedure - just so used to it...

But... I never knew what happened after that...
As a medic in the army, I had to do the initial prep on a few bodies. On a cardiac ward in Hawaii once, after sticking stuffing into every orifice of a recently deceased gentleman, tying up one other potentially leaky appendage, and tying up his hands and feet, I slapped him on the thigh and asked if everything met with his approval. The SOB belched loudly! Geeze! It was a rhetorical question! I really wasn't expecting a reply!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-05-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #96
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
You hear dead people.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #97
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson, Essays: First Series (1841), "Self-Reliance."

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. Or not.

I'm not very consistent, you know!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #98
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps; but someone's got to do it, and it's good that someone with Dawkin's knowledge of the subject and his immense writing and speaking skills has decided to step up to the plate.
I agree completely in that respect!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #99
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As a medic in the army, I had to do the initial prep on a few bodies. On a cardiac ward in Hawaii once, after sticking stuffing into every orifice of a recently deceased gentleman, tying up one other potentially leaky appendage, and tying up his hands and feet, I slapped him on the thigh and asked if everything met with his approval. The SOB belched loudly! Geeze! It was a rhetorical question! I really wasn't expecting a reply!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #100
lene1949
Wizard

When is the deadline for this poll?

Stiff is being threatened...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #101
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's a tight race of two so far. We'll see what the weekend brings.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Um... look at the my image capture of the poll:

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-03-06 at 12.42.35 AM.png
Views:	308
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	47325  
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #103
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
You hear dead people.

Maybe I could be the next John Edward! I could call my shtick Belching Over with WT. I could see it all now. "Are you the late husband of the woman standing beside me? Belch twice for 'yes', once for 'no'."
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #104
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Is that a pun?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #105
kennyc

Quote:

Maybe I could be the next John Edward! I could call my shtick Belching Over with WT. I could see it all now. "Are you the late husband of the woman standing beside me? Belch twice for 'yes', once for 'no'."
OMG! Go for it!

Karma Worthy!