Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Package missing software?

An acquaintance of mine just purchased the 600...She calls me with a few questions. Turns out she didn't get the CD in the package which has the library software & the PDF user's guide. Is this standard now....no CD provided any longer? Seems a shame that the few pennies it costs for the CD would now be a cost cutting mechanism for Sony...
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You don't need a cd. Everything is stored inside the reader. If you plug it in, the software installs itself, whether you want it or not. You can also find the user's guide inside.
I believe the cd would be just a waste of material when the reader also functions perfectly well as a mass storage device.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
PennyPie
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Hmm....when I got my 700 back in May, it came with the CD to which I refer. I'll have to let my friend know. Thanx for the heads up.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
the software is also online. CDs are lame.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
PennyPie

Point is, unless you have someone from whom you can get advise, you don't KNOW that...my friend was trying to buy a book from Sony's website, but hadn't done the proper things...hadn't installed the software, cuz she didn't know it existed, nor did she realize there was a manual. Seems there wasn't enough paper documentation in the box to properly inform her of what she needed to do to get up & running.
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
To be fair, there is a quick start guide in the package, explaining how to charge your reader, install the software and get started reading.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
PennyPie

Guess some folks need it in big, bold, in your face 'READ THIS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING'. Maybe she was just too excited to investigate the contents properly...thanks