Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
evilK
evilK began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using Kindle for PC with Proxy

Hi everybody.

I was so excited about the Kindle for PC for one clear reason: Being able to read at my workplace, an unbeatable way to take advantage of my downtime periods at it (my work is that kind of work that you can be incredibly busy for three days and then other three days with very little to do, but you have to feign anyways).

So my disappointment came when i saw that i can't make it work with a proxy. My question is if i'm missing some kind of setting to do this, or it is simply not allowed. If it's not allowed..it's this a "decision" of amazon or its just that the software its quite new and will be probably updated with the feature?
I'm assuming that there isn't either another way to move offline the files (talkin about amazon's books, .azm i suppose), at least without having a Kindle (i dont know if is possible haveing one actually).

I''ll really appreciate any ideas, thanks!!
evilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
evilK

Any help?

If the issue is repeated or something, please only link me to the appropiate post..I searched before posting this one, but didn't find anything
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
evilK

The question must be too hard..or too stupid x).
Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
evilK:

There appear to be no settings for a proxy in the K4PC software. I imagine this would only work if you have a transparent (intercepting) proxy.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
EvilK,

Not sure if this helps, but are you able to do normal downloads from web sites? If so, you can download your books from the Manage my Kindle page, then transfer them to the My Kindle Content folder (below My Documents or equivalent).

In other words, you don't need to use the Kindle PC app to actually do the download.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
EvilK,

Not sure if this helps, but are you able to do normal downloads from web sites? If so, you can download your books from the Manage my Kindle page, then transfer them to the My Kindle Content folder (below My Documents or equivalent).

In other words, you don't need to use the Kindle PC app to actually do the download.
Hmmm... When I select "Transfer to Computer" it only lists my Kindles, and not my kindle for pc. I don't know if this would be an option.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Hmmm... When I select "Transfer to Computer" it only lists my Kindles, and not my kindle for pc. I don't know if this would be an option.
Download Kindle for PC at home. Then download books there after registering your home PC with Amazon. Register your work PC from office. Then use a flash drive to copy book files from home PC to work PC.

If you cannot register your work PC due to the work firewall, request your tech support person at work to allow connection to amazon.com.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Download Kindle for PC at home. Then download books there after registering your home PC with Amazon. Register your work PC from office. Then use a flash drive to copy book files from home PC to work PC.
But the PIDs of each computer will be different, and files from one PC will not be readable on the other (if they're DRM'ed).

Quote:
If you cannot register your work PC due to the work firewall, request your tech support person at work to allow connection to amazon.com.
Probably the best solution. Could be a hard sell to your boss or IT department if they're uptight -- which (judging by the fact that there's a proxy server in the first place) is a possibility.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm... When I select "Transfer to Computer" it only lists my Kindles, and not my kindle for pc.
It probably doens't matter. The point is that the book will be visible in the Manage My Kindle page, and can be downloaded from there to your PC in the usual way (that is, via the browser's download mechanism).

Once the book's on the PC, it's a normal file, so you can move it to the My Kindle Content folder.

As far as the PIDs are concerned, that's just a matter of registering each copy of Kindle for PC to your account (but what out for the device limit).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
It probably doens't matter. The point is that the book will be visible in the Manage My Kindle page, and can be downloaded from there to your PC in the usual way (that is, via the browser's download mechanism).

Once the book's on the PC, it's a normal file, so you can move it to the My Kindle Content folder.
I think you misread what I said. When you select "Download to my Computer" from the "Manage my Kindle" page, it doesn't offer you the choice of Kindle For PC, only actual Kindle devices.

Quote:
As far as the PIDs are concerned, that's just a matter of registering each copy of Kindle for PC to your account (but what out for the device limit).
No, Amazon doesn't work that way. For normal mobipocket books there were several DRM sections for each device registered to your account, and with the book key encrypted with the pid of each device. With Amazon there is only one DRM section, and the key is encrypted on the fly for the device you're downloading to. If you have two kindles you cannot simply copy files between them. This is why a dialog pops up prompting you for which device when you select "Download to my PC" from the "Manage my Kindle" page if you have multiple kindles registered to your account. If you download the book for "Kindle A" and put it on "Kindle B" it won't open.

Again, none of this helps the OP. Kindle 4 PC won't work through the proxy, which means he can't even register the application with Amazon in the first place.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
I think you misread what I said. When you select "Download to my Computer" from the "Manage my Kindle" page, it doesn't offer you the choice of Kindle For PC, only actual Kindle devices.
This isn't what I'm seeing. I'm looking at the "Your Orders" section on Manage My Kindle. Against each title, ther's a "Deliver to ..." box that leads to a drop-down list of options. One of those options is "Transfer via Computer". That's what I had in mind.

However, it's quite possible I've misunderstood your question. I'm certainly not an expert in this area.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
clarknova
Addict

Quote:
This isn't what I'm seeing. I'm looking at the "Your Orders" section on Manage My Kindle. Against each title, ther's a "Deliver to ..." box that leads to a drop-down list of options. One of those options is "Transfer via Computer". That's what I had in mind.
Yeah, that's what I was describing, except I'm stupid and lazy and didn't bother to use the correct phrasing of "Transfer via Computer".

IIRC, those with the Kindle iPod app can't "Transfer via Computer" either, though I might be mistaken.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
evilK

Thanks everybody for your help!

Actually, the real problem is, like someone said before, that i have to register the kindle for pc from my work machine (once this would be achivied, i'd only had to "manage" my ebooks from the amazon manager, and deliver the book which i'm interested into my work's k4pc).

The issues is that, no matter how i finally move the file from my home to my work's pc, before doing that i have to register the k4pc from my work (you cannot do it externally), and that's what i can`t do due to the proxy. Notice that the problem is not that amazon.com is blocked(because is not), so i assume that the problem is the presence of the proxy by itself.

So in conclusion, the objective will be to at least register the k4pc at work throw the proxy. Again, if anybody has any idea about how to do it, please tell us and save the day!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Registering PC

How about borrowing the PC, bring it home and register it there. Once registered, it should work at any location.

However, your boss my not approve that maneuver.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
evilK

Quote:
How about borrowing the PC, bring it home and register it there. Once registered, it should work at any location.
Hehe i thought about that, but sadly my boss wouldn't let me do it..what kind of reason could i plead for getting the tower outside the work? x(

Maybe using one of that USB modems that phone companies uses for their "internet everywhere" services could do the trick? Will be K4PC able to register through this kind of connection?

Let me know if somebody have tried! thanks.