Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #91
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Harvey Beta release imminent.

Fellows, after an interesting six months (oh good grief, is it that long already?), I've finally got to a point where I'm comfortable making a Beta release of Harvey, my ebook (and ok, anything else) indexing tool.

There are two big things it doesn't do, and one thing it only sort of does.

First, the organise files function isn't there yet, to take your files and copy or move them into a directory structure as it indexes them. I don't know many people that wanted this, but those that did, sorry, that'll come soon, I promise.

Second, the meta-data readers. I haven't been able to figure out how to run Calibre's meta-data readers from the command line yet, and I've been concentrating on writing the main functionality first, so there's only one reader at present that understands any ebook format meta-data. It'll still index a bunch of files, it just won't be able to get any meta-data about the file that isn't available from the file name and directory structure.

Don't worry, all will become clear.

In addition to this, the define search stuff is pretty weak, it assumes you want to "AND" every condition.

Apart from those issues, it's looking very useful in my opinion. For those of you with GUI design skills, I'd ask you to bear with me while I put something prettier in place: it's very bare bones functional-only right now.

Still, I think it looks sensible enough to let everyone see it.

I'm currently packaging up a distribution: writing a tutorial that'll hopefully make sense of it all. Once that's done (a matter of a day or two), I'll post it here for you all to play with as you want.

One question I'd love to have answered though, is how many of you would be comfortable installing a database yourselves? I have two versions of Harvey, one for people who are happy installing a database (like mySQL) themselves, and one with the database embedded, so you don't have to do anything. The embedded version uses MySQL, and is about 6MB larger, so I wondered if any/many of you would want that instead.

See you all in a day or two!
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #92
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd rather have a version with a database embedded. (exciting times !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
duck!, puppy!