Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
gabaldini
Enthusiast
gabaldini has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle paperwhite
google earth in custom search , marvin 3

I'm tryng to create a custom search that can search places in the application google earth instead of google maps , is this possible , someone can help me?
I'd like to create another custom search that can open an application with a dictionary,can Marvin open apps to make a search?

thanks
gabaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Yes, the second thing definitely works. (I haven't used Google Earth.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
gabaldini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, the second thing definitely works. (I haven't used Google Earth.)
Can you tell me how? I've tried putting {name of application} .
I have no idea of programming , I would appreciate your help
Old 07-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Instead of application name, you need what is called a "URL scheme". If an app doesn't have a URL scheme, then Marvin can't call it, but many dictionary apps (and not just dictionary apps) do offer an URL scheme. For an example, try this:
  1. in Marvin, press "EPUB book settings"
  2. in the "Text Selection Menu" section, press "Custom commands"
  3. press the "+" button at the bottom of the screen
  4. press "Get started with a preset..." at the bottom of the pop-up window
  5. random example: scroll down and press "Search in IMDb app (if installed)"
  6. now, you can see the URL scheme used by the IMDb app, and the Marvin command that employs the URL scheme: imdb:///find?q={text}
  7. all you need to do now is to replace the imdb part in that command with the URL scheme of your favourite dictionary app. Sometimes you can just guess the URL scheme, but if not, you can write to the customer support of that app and ask them if they offer a URL scheme, and what it is.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
gabaldini
Enthusiast

ok , thanks a lot
I'd found an url scheme that opens google earth
comgoogleearth://
do you know what must i put next so it search the word selected ive tried
/find?q={text} and /{text}but dont work

Quote:
Instead of application name, you need what is called a "URL scheme". If an app doesn't have a URL scheme, then Marvin can't call it, but many dictionary apps (and not just dictionary apps) do offer an URL scheme. For an example, try this:
  1. in Marvin, press "EPUB book settings"
  2. in the "Text Selection Menu" section, press "Custom commands"
  3. press the "+" button at the bottom of the screen
  4. press "Get started with a preset..." at the bottom of the pop-up window
  5. random example: scroll down and press "Search in IMDb app (if installed)"
  6. now, you can see the URL scheme used by the IMDb app, and the Marvin command that employs the URL scheme: imdb:///find?q={text}
  7. all you need to do now is to replace the imdb part in that command with the URL scheme of your favourite dictionary app. Sometimes you can just guess the URL scheme, but if not, you can write to the customer support of that app and ask them if they offer a URL scheme, and what it is.

Last edited by gabaldini; 07-09-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I am not so sure about Google earth but for Google maps the command is:

comgooglemaps://?q={text}
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
gabaldini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I am not so sure about Google earth but for Google maps the command is:

comgooglemaps://?q={text}
Searching in the the web , I've found that Google earth does not admit parameters, only solution is to first copy, then open GE and paste there

thank you!

Last edited by gabaldini; 07-10-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaldini View Post
Searching in the the web , I've found that Google earth does not admit parameters, only solution is to first copy, then open GE and paste there
Well, I discovered that too. Unfortunately the custom command "Copy" does not work in Marvin.

If it did you could first Copy the location and then select your custom command
comgoogleearth:// and finally manually paste in Google Earth
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Unfortunately the custom command "Copy" does not work in Marvin.
What does work is select a word/passage, then press the "share" button (box with arrow pointing upwards), then press "Copy". Perhaps not usable in the particular use scenario discussed here, but that's how I've been copying text from Marvin 3.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #10
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
What does work is select a word/passage, then press the "share" button (box with arrow pointing upwards), then press "Copy". Perhaps not usable in the particular use scenario discussed here, but that's how I've been copying text from Marvin 3.
Well it is usable in this scenario. Thank you.

The custom command {copy} work in Marvin 2.
The custom command {copy : detail} does work in Marvin 3.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@svenlind Although the {copy} command displays an error saying it didn't work, it does in fact work and copy the selected text. Of course, Marvin shouldn't be displaying the error when there is none. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It will be corrected in the next update.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #12
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@svenlind Although the {copy} command displays an error saying it didn't work, it does in fact work and copy the selected text. Of course, Marvin shouldn't be displaying the error when there is none. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It will be corrected in the next update.
Well, thank you it didn't occur to me that it might work anyway.