Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #91
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
There was mentioned Nook STR - I never heard of it.
Even the evil Google does not help.
Is it a newer version of Nook ST?
Nook STR = Nook Simple Touch Reader, same thing as Nook ST.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #92
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Thanks.
As Nook ST is pretty old now, was his screen upgraded at some points to a higher contrast / warmer color one or the same in all Nook STs?
I see huge difference between T1 and T2, for example. Especially the white color of T2 screen is more pleasant, not bluish like T1. And Nook ST is from T1 generation.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #93
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The look of eInk screens can vary a fair amount from batch to batch. The Simple Touch still uses the 600x800 Pearl screen just like it always has which is also what the T1 & T2 use.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #94
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but T2 has warmer white color than T1, both Pearl but different series or something.
My first T1 is even worse than the next two T1s. But the four T2s are all identical - I like them very much. Aura HD is the same as T2s too (contrast and the warmth/hue of white).
I would like to know what expect of (rather old) Nook ST - compared to T1/T2.
I currently have 7 readers but now there is an opportunity to buy cheap Nook STs.
And newer readers tend to have no buttons and tend to have glowing screens. Or difficult to root.
So I would rather have many backups of the kind I like.

Last edited by parkher; 10-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #95
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Wrong, regarding the Kindle. Although I curse the fact that it only has 2gb, at least I can fill it with anything I want, not just a minuscule portion of it. I did have a Nook ST for a little while, and it was very nice. I rooted it with Nook Manager and loaded the CARD up with a lot of books. It was perfectly adequate in that respect. If the next Paperwhite model doesn't have increased storage, I won't be getting it. The new Nook has LESS storage (since there is no card), so despite the nice light and slimmer width, I won't be getting it.
I'm in 100% agreement with booklover6--I recently bought a Kindle PW, and would love to have more storage, but at least there is no artificial limitation for sideloaded material and I can fill up the whole 2gb (less operating system files) with content from Amazon or my own sideloaded material. Frankly, I'd be less irritated with the new nook if it only had 500mb of storage total but without any restrictions on what could be loaded in to it. For whatever reason, it really irritates me that they partition off so much of it and make it inaccessible.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #96
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Does the new nook have a web browser? I like to use dropbox to load books and was wondering.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #97
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Does the new nook have a web browser? I like to use dropbox to load books and was wondering.

Thanks,

Penny
No, it doesn't. You can't install any apps without rooting. And even then, the fact that it runs 2.1 and only has 256MB of RAM severely limits what you could install.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #98
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Thanks,
Penny
Unfortunately it does not.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #99
parkher
Evangelist

Just to clarify the terminology.
I never sideload books. I always just load books from my PC directly, not sideways from somewhere. Usually after fixing them, for example, after reducing a retail epub from 25 MB to 300 KB.
So please, the reader is mine and the book is mine and I have every right to load it without an insinuation of some side activity. It is the main activity, just as reading is.
Not sidereading.
Actually, sideloading means to me loading from a bookstore or from a cloud - in other words, something weird and unnecessary and less then predictable.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #100
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

In terms used most places sideloading is when you load via a USB connection to a computer.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #101
parkher
Evangelist

From my POV (sitting at the PC) I am uploading books to the reader, not sideloading.
Sideloading has a negative connotation to me, as if you are supposed to install android apps only directly from Google, or to download books with the reader directly from B&N etc., but you are sidestepping it and doing something wrong.
I am aware of the origins of the term and of some logic to it. But I'm at war with it
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #102
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

LOL, I get you, but I guess I caved a long time ago and just went with it.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #103
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Does anyone know if the screen is stronger than the previous Nook Glo? I heard so many bad thing about the fragility of the screen of the old Nook Glo that I hesistate to get this one although it seems to be a nice reader. My mom has a Nook ST & I like it quite a bit.

By the way, does anyone know how fast the page turn speed is comparing to the PRS 650?

And the new covers, don't they look cool & super thin/light? I wonder how well they can protect the Nook.. (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/clip...=9780594467960)
Thanks

Last edited by mimosavj; 11-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #104
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Does anyone know if the screen is stronger than the previous Nook Glo? I heard so many bad thing about the fragility of the screen of the old Nook Glo that I hesistate to get this one although it seems to be a nice reader. My mom has a Nook ST & I like it quite a bit.

By the way, does anyone know how fast the page turn speed is comparing to the PRS 650?

And the new covers, don't they look cool & super thin/light? I wonder how well they can protect the Nook.. (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/clip...=9780594467960)
Thanks
The screen appears to be stronger but I really cant say for sure as I've only had it for 36 hours. The page turns are very quick, quicker than my 650. The B&N near me was sold out of the covers so I was unable to purchase one to test out. If you are looking to upgrade and the Nook appeals to you then I say go for it. It is lighter than any ereader I own or know of and the coating is a nice soft touch that makes it good for marathon reading sessions. There are other ereaders that read epub that I like as well but the Nook has a very nice price point and doesn't force ads on you for that 119.00 price tag. If you live near a B&N I highly recommend going in and checking it out in person.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #105
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Does anyone know if the screen is stronger than the previous Nook Glo?
According to the description at B&N the screen is indeed stronger:

New Display - Now More Durable
With a new top layer material and lamination process, NOOK GlowLight's display stands up to keys, pens, and anything else you might carry with you.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote