Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
cmolinap
Enthusiast
cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch/Mini
Kobo Glo screen.

Hi,

It is normal for a tenuous shadow on the bottom of the screen, of the Kobo Glo, when you turn on the light? And if you see directly the bottom of the screen, with the light is on, note dark parts and light parts, interspersed. Is this normal?

Thanks in advances,
cmolinap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Yes. Kobo firmware used to give the option of a black bar there, to disguise the slight uneven effect related to having multiple LED lights in a row. This option was removed in a recent firmware upgrade.

Here's a very recent discussion of the effect:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219576
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
cmolinap
Enthusiast
cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch/Mini
Thanks meeera for your explanation and link. I thought my Kobo Glo was defective. Even I was thinking about returning it. In my case, it shows as the pictures of the link. It is annoying.
cmolinap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
On my Glo, it's pretty even, or at least it's not distracting to me at all, certainly it's still more even than a clip on light would be.

If you think you would prefer the dark band at the bottom which would mask the shadows of the lights, older firmware (I think up to 2.5.1) allowed you to change from clear to black. For me though, the black border leaves a very thin bright white line at the bottom where it just doesn't extend far enough down, and for me, that is very distracting to see. And it seems to emphasize the fact that it takes up too much space when it's black to me.

So it's up to you which you think you would prefer, and possibly that white line won't show at the bottom of your screen either, it might just be the placement of my screen is a smidge too high for the frame causing it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, kobo glo, light, screen