Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
DanC
DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is reading faster, on an E-reader, important to you?

Dear fellow readers,

We are a group of students researching the subject of "the importance of speed reading on E-books".
We would appreciate if you would be able to fill out our survey (link below).
It will only take 2 minutes of your time

Thank you very much!

P.S - this research is hypothetical. We are not trying to market anything - just further understand the subject above.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RWeGc6MQ#gid=0
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
DanC
DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DanC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

link to survey:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RWeGc6MQ#gid=0
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I answered your survey, but I think you are missing the point of reading. I mostly read on an ereader, but the reason is to reduce the space in my home taken up by books. It is not to save time, and I don't want to read faster, I want to enjoy the book. I do save some money, as a lot of the books I enjoy are public domain or from a lobrary.
I think you could expand your survey to ask more about our different reasons for using ebooks, rather than just focusing on time. So you might reflect on the purpose of your survey,and what aspects of reading are important to us.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
Dear fellow readers,
We are a group of students researching the subject of "the importance of speed reading on E-books".

We would appreciate if you would be able to fill out our survey (link below).
May I suggest slightly more depth to your survey, because I can't answer the reading faster question honestly. If it improved hardware performance, the answer would be yes. If it added visual cues to aid reading, the answer would be probably. If it is a behaviour gimmick, the answer would be no. Life is long enough to optimize, but to short to rush through.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
DanC

You guys are right regarding the depth of the survey.
The main purpose of the survey is to determine the importance of time saving while reading. The reason it is for E-readers is so we could add a question about a hypothetical app that enhances ones reading speed without losing any information (visual effects/faster page turns/voicing words faster/enlarging important words) it can be whatever you see in your mind as long as you understand it enables you to read faster without additional effort.

We are trying to determine the importance of time saving for different people. If you take your time while reading and enjoy it, its great for our survey! Some people take their time, and some want to read more but have no time.

most important thing is you answer honestly

Thank you very much for your participation

Dan

Last edited by DanC; 12-26-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
I answered your survey, but I think you are missing the point of reading. I mostly read on an ereader, but the reason is to reduce the space in my home taken up by books. It is not to save time, and I don't want to read faster, I want to enjoy the book. I do save some money, as a lot of the books I enjoy are public domain or from a lobrary.
I think you could expand your survey to ask more about our different reasons for using ebooks, rather than just focusing on time. So you might reflect on the purpose of your survey,and what aspects of reading are important to us.
Agreed. For me my Kindle is about not having to store books, being able to carry a bunch of books with me, getting books delivered to me in under a minute, etc. Reading faster isn't a priority to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I've got bad eyes and am not a particularly fast reader. The technology is fast enough for my needs. I'm the bottleneck.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Students are always looking for ways to read and learn faster. People who read for leisure are not in a hurry. I read every word in every sentence, yet it only takes a few hours to read a novel. I don't need to speed read. For students rushing through text, they will not be rewarded. Time needs to be devoted to thinking about the material. If one needs to speed read to stay on top of courses, that person is probably taking too many courses at once or not willing to spend enough time studying.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd really like to be able to read faster, and I only read for leisure entertainment. It would be nice to read more books.

I don't need (or even want) to have 5000 books on my reader with me, I don't need access to purchase new books and have them delivered instantly. I'm happy keeping about 100 books on my reader and rotating those out as I read. I always have my next book I want to read with me, and there's absolutely no reason I need to make a purchase right that second, that can't wait until I get home and do it on my PC (which I prefer so I can then get it into my Calibre library).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

I prefer to plugin my earphones and listen the story instead of reading. Yes not all ePubs have feature of dictation but I prefer to read those who have such option.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
To me an eReader is about Comfort NOT Fast Reading! Comfort in being able to adjust Font Size & lighing to see by Comfort of Not trying to hold a bulky book in my arthritic hands Comfort in Not Packing Boxes & Boxes of Books when moving ... reduction of making my bad back Worse.. Confort of Not hitting Katie on the head with a big book when I fall asleep in bed reading .... humm I think I Covered it All LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Packing Boxes & Boxes of Books when moving
This! When I moved to a third floor condo 6 years ago, and when I got married 4 years ago, I swore that I'd never do it again [it being moving 50+ boxes of hardcover books]. We've been weeding out books and all our recent purchases have been ebooks.

It is about space,not time
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Dear fellow readers,

We are a group of students researching the subject of "the importance of speed reading on E-books". We would appreciate if you would be able to fill out our survey (link below). It will only take 2 minutes of your time
Thank you very much!

P.S - this research is hypothetical. We are not trying to market anything - just further understand the subject above.
Quote:
You guys are right regarding the depth of the survey.
The main purpose of the survey is to determine the importance of time saving while reading. The reason it is for E-readers is so we could add a question about a hypothetical app that enhances ones reading speed without losing any information (visual effects/faster page turns/voicing words faster/enlarging important words) it can be whatever you see in your mind as long as you understand it enables you to read faster without additional effort.

We are trying to determine the importance of time saving for different people. If you take your time while reading and enjoy it, its great for our survey! Some people take their time, and some want to read more but have no time.

most important thing is you answer honestly

Thank you very much for your participation
Dan
You may not be trying to market anything, but you are definitely doing "market research".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
DanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
You may not be trying to market anything, but you are definitely doing "market research".
for academic purposes

were almost there! thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Yves Gorat
Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi Dan,

the link doesn't seem to be working (anymore? on my pc?).
Regards,

Yves
Yves Gorat is offline   Reply With Quote