Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
I was wondering... currently it is kinda complex to achieve 16 shades of gray shifting part of the colored particles inside the "pixels", but with resolution increase it might be viable having only black and white unit and simulate the colors where needed (pics) with dithering, that way we may have much faster screens with much whiter white and blacker black?
Dithering with just B&W looks terrible in practice, even at 200ppi. Half-toning at 300ppi would be interesting to see, although hard to implement.

It's an interesting idea, but the issue I see is that the slowest part of the eInk is the black/white transition. Eliminating colors to leave behind white and black also leaves behind the slowest transition.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Better resolution but contrast suffers compared to my K4s with the firmware update. The fonts are incosistant throughout the page and from page to page.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
You are scaring me ;-P

It's so obvius the better constract in kindle black?

I really want the paperwhite, but not if constract is worse than my old Sony prst1...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The contrast is no where as good as the black at least on my Paperwhites I recieved. My
K4 Silver has better contrast.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Dithering with just B&W looks terrible in practice, even at 200ppi. Half-toning at 300ppi would be interesting to see, although hard to implement.

It's an interesting idea, but the issue I see is that the slowest part of the eInk is the black/white transition. Eliminating colors to leave behind white and black also leaves behind the slowest transition.
My idea was instead of the tons of very small particles in the "pixel" that you can use electricity to put some quantity on the surface, to use something like... let's say a "ball" that is pure white on one end and pure black on the other half, so it needs to "rotate" only to change. It may as well eliminate the need for the full refreshes too, as you won't have "residual" particles from the last color, it is either black or white and without full refresh eink is pretty fast as it is.

Since what I do care for book reading is the perfect contrast on the text... it might work, and might allow for even higher res screens when not needing to manage lot of ultra-small particles. Plus, screen can be made much more robust - you wont have fragile liquid bubbles anymore. Just a thought...

Last edited by DrunkenDonkey; 10-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
It's so obvius the better constract in kindle black?
To me it is definitely obvious.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Well I'm comparing my PW with my K3 side by side. The PW has much better resolution, you can instantly see the text is sharper.

Contrast, only a slight difference. Background on PW is slightly whiter when light is all the way down and blackness in the text appear to the same.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
tmf2
Zealot

PW vs Kindle 4 silver contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1025121502.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	905.7 KB
ID:	94906  

Last edited by tmf2; 10-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Having finally received my kindle pw, I was very disappointed because the lighting seemed to wash out the text. I was really wanting to like this unit, as I currently read a lot at nighttime, for which I use my (old) kindle fire.

My US friend who bought it to Europe asked me what I thought about it after a day. I replied that I was inconclusive as it seemed to be not as sharp as my kindle keyboard. He replied "Funny, that's what I also thought" - I had showed him my kindle keyboard when he brought me the PW and I celebrated the unwrapping.

At nighttime reading I noticed that it was by far not as bright as my kindle fire, and also that the sharpness of the fire was much better. For me that was reason enough to send it back and keep my kindle keyboard and kindle fire ( which I had wanted to sell on ebay). Better two great specialized devices than one with compromises.

Regards, Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Very noticeable improvement coming from my old Sony 650. That was a fine ebook reader - the PW is the first e-ink reader since that I've felt motivated to upgrade too. Light diffusion seems pretty even to me, apart from maybe the lower 1/20th of the screen, but I expected that from the reviews, and even that's only when I really crank the brightness, which I'll rarely do in real world usage.

Stared and stared, not noticed blotching. Side by side with my bro's Kindle keyboard, contrast seems far better, not to mention the clarity of the text.

All in all, extremely pleased with it, answers the only real niggle I had with e-ink, namely lighting (not a fan of after market solutions). Killer product.

Bought the black cover too, an excellent fit and feel - a million times better than the clunky monstrosity (imo) that was the Kindle keyboard's case - and the screen on/off via the cover works a treat.

Last edited by yegon; 10-25-2012 at 05:55 PM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #26
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Today was a very bright sunny day here today. I took my Kindle Touch and my Kindle Paperwhite outside in the sun. I had my PW light at 24, the highest it goes. The contrast on my Kindle Touch was shockingly superior. Nice white background and clean dark fonts. The background on my PW looked more dingy in comparison. I was pretty surprised as the very obvious difference in bright sunlight and this was with the light on high on the PW. (With it off it was worse.) Indoors, however, my PW looks whiter with the light on than my Touch. Although the fonts always look better on my Touch, inside or out.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Larger font sizes physically spreads the faint background coloring and totally obscures it. The pixels are PHYSICALLY spread out. You can actually see this effect by using a powerful magnifying glass or microscope and can see how the pixels are spread.
The Kindle is a fixed pixel display. Pixels don't get spread out by increasing the font size.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
PW vs Kindle 4 silver contrast.
That´s look very similar.

More contrast perhaps will be improved by software.

Thanks for the photo! : Thumbsup:
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Don't mix up contrast and resolution. I work as a journalist in local computer magazine, so we have taken macro pictures of screen when we tested e-readers.
Here you can see comparison of Kindle 2, Kindle 3 and Kindle PW in terms of resolution. Zoom in on pictures and you will notice big difference in edges.

Last edited by astmario; 10-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
ersott
Evangelist

I'm agree with you, contrast could be change by firmware, low resolution haven't solution ;-)

Last edited by ersott; 10-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.