Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #496
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I will try it I soon as I can (right now I cannot install it : I am in 5.3.1 on my PW. Need to update to 5.3.2.1 first ).

I have some knowledge in js, html, css so if I can fix something I will send you the modified/working GUI.
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #497
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfeduc View Post
I will try it I soon as I can (right now I cannot install it : I am in 5.3.1 on my PW. Need to update to 5.3.2.1 first ).

I have some knowledge in js, html, css so if I can fix something I will send you the modified/working GUI.
Note: 5.3.2 is for the **KINDLE TOUCH** - not for the Kindle Paperwhite.

But yes, the point is probably a good one - update to a more recent firmware for the Kpw - 5.3.4 is probably a good one.
Then use any of the methods posted here to avoid a forced update to 5.3.5 or 5.3.6 (or just stay in "airplane mode").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #498
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Thanks farfeduc for testing Komic!
Let me know something when you want/can!
And, obviously, you're more than welcome to modify/alter/fix Komic, just report here your work!

And thanks also to knc1 for helping me keeping this thread clean and helpful!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #499
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

As predicted I could'nt install it on 5.3.1
I updated on 5.3.4, it launchs fine (thanks knc1).

So here is my feedback :

-I made screenshots (the first ones) to show you few size issues (menus too shorts, and bottom text in settings a little too big )

-(sound option is useless on pw, because there is no sound at all)

I did not use the readingJS you send. I used the original one, the taps I make on the screen are not read as taps by komic but as scroll (up and down).
(scroll in the 7 screenshot)

What is I think happening :
-When I tap, it sees a scroll and then scroll for about 1mm or less (up and down scroll).
-You need to tap a lot to change the page/access the menu.

Solution that I can think of :
-disable up/down scroll : I resize all my comics to 758x1024 this way they are fullscreen and I only need to zoom if the font are too small but the screen is usually big enough.

OR

-increase the scroll detection press time to detect taps quicker and scroll longer.

The deletion works fine.

I did not try the other scripts (remove borders and decompress cbr/cbz, I think they work just fine because they don't depend on GUI).

I hope it will help you correct some issues. I will continue testing (try the readingJS for example and use the other scripts).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_53_57+0800.png
Views:	215
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	107445   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_54_03+0800.png
Views:	203
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	107446   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_55_25+0800.png
Views:	202
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	107447   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_55_30+0800.png
Views:	193
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	107448   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_55_35+0800.png
Views:	186
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	107449   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T14_58_21+0800.png
Views:	177
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	107450   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T15_03_48+0800.png
Views:	181
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	107451   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_06_29T15_25_02+0800.png
Views:	183
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	107452  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #500
farfeduc
Kindle Addict

Here is a demo of the GUI problem (I used the modified readingJS, no success, I did not even see a change.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19j1_KiapI

I apologize for the prononciation or everything that is bad (french guy powaaa !)
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #501
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
@silver18: Small tip about issue we encountered during work on KCC.

To maximize the quality on e-ink display you need two separate images per page.

If you resize image to device resolution it looks perfect without zoom but obviously quality of zoom is catastrophic due too small resolution of image.

If you want to have best zoom quality you need to resize image to 150% of device resolution. But then due to downscaling when zoom if off image can be a slightly blurry.

That is reason we started using two images per page - one for zooming and second one for unzoomed state.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #502
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for the delay, I just started my new job so I have little spare time!
Hopefully it will bring lots of improvements here in Komic!

Anyway:
- GUI problems: I will try to fix them asap. BTW, they are not blocker issues so I'll solve the other problem first!
- tap/swipe problem: I assure you the modified version of JS works fine in my Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1 (it could be helpful if someone with a Touch tests it). I will take a video asap!

My last idea: there is something different from Touch to PW regarding the screen or the tap events.
What works in the Touch, doesn't work in the PW. Maybe is the capacitive screen (and I only need to trim the duration and amount of the tap gesture)...

To trim these parameters, please refer to readingJS.js and to:
- function mUp (the first if condition). Please note that I didn't update the comments so you'll find 30px e not 100px as in the comment.
- function trackMouse (the second if condition)

@farfeduc: thanks for testing Komic! I really appreciated your help! I'll try to solve everything asap. Keep me updated if you find something else.

@AcidWeb: I really don't want to change original images, so I don't resize them, I simply resize the way they are displayed in Komic.
As regards the original size, they are perfect as they reflect the original image.
The same happens when you zoom.
The only problem is when you use poor quality images: the more you zoom, the worse the quality.

I make a scaled-down copy of some images only when I create thumbnails for cover view: I can't manage lots of heavy images in one page!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #503
pythonian4000
pythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheesepythonian4000 can extract oil from cheese

I've had some more time to test Komic (still Kindle PW 5.3.5). Two points:

The updated readingJS is helping a lot, but micro-scrolling does still occur. Perhaps the min pixel range moved needs to be larger for the PW as it has a higher-res screen for the same screen area? I haven't had time to test tweaks to the JS yet.

A combo bug: I have "go to last read" enabled as well as autosave and autojump, and I can read through comics great. But when I get to the end and it tells me "no more comics", clicking OK takes me to Home, which then immediately takes me to the first page of the last comic I viewed. I can only get Home by going through the Reading menu.
pythonian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #504
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonian4000 View Post
A combo bug: I have "go to last read" enabled as well as autosave and autojump, and I can read through comics great. But when I get to the end and it tells me "no more comics", clicking OK takes me to Home, which then immediately takes me to the first page of the last comic I viewed. I can only get Home by going through the Reading menu.
That is a "feature"

You only have to load a single comic book ;
You don't have to bother with using the Kindle for something other than reading that single comic book ;
Also very handy for people who forget how the story began.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #505
silver18
THE NOOB

Yep, that was clearly intentional!
It's a new feature called never ending loop.
Anyway, as it seems you don't like it, I'll fix it for the next release (2.3 stable).
I just need to use the same structure I already use to avoid jumping back to the book when returning home.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #506
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Yep, that was clearly intentional!
It's a new feature called never ending loop.
Anyway, as it seems you don't like it, I'll fix it for the next release (2.3 stable).
I just need to use the same structure I already use to avoid jumping back to the book when returning home.
I just fixed the problem!

In the meanwhile, I'm working on refactoring all tables with JQgrid (bookmarks, deletions, options, borders)

Then will try some improvements to the general performance.

As regards the swipe/touch problem, please someone try to play around with those two parameters in PW.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #507
farfeduc
Kindle Addict

There is a "no more comics" issue, I can't push the ok button. Komic just crash and go to the home screen of the kindle not komic.

The ReadingJS attached here is functionnal. fully detect taps and scrolls.

Have fun ! (I don't know exactly which parameter I modified in your 2 functions but after some random play with the parameters, it works

I don't know what's excatly modified so it surely is not the most optimized one but it works well on my kindle PW.
Attached Files
File Type: zip readingJS.js.zip (6.8 KB, 230 views)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #508
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfeduc View Post
There is a "no more comics" issue, I can't push the ok button. Komic just crash and go to the home screen of the kindle not komic.

The ReadingJS attached here is functionnal. fully detect taps and scrolls.

Have fun ! (I don't know exactly which parameter I modified in your 2 functions but after some random play with the parameters, it works

I don't know what's excatly modified so it surely is not the most optimized one but it works well on my kindle PW.
There is a utility to answer that question (in fact, a number of them).
The easiest is probably
diff -u old_file_name new_file_name

Other options are available, it is a versatile utility.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #509
farfeduc
Kindle Addict

I'm sorry I was not clear (french guy powaa ^^) :

I know what I modified. But I don't know which value as exactly an impact on what.

So it's working but after some random changes on the 4 values in the 2 functions.
(I'm not sure but I think I increased by 40px the detection area. the value that made it work was the 500 one. I'm kinda bored to relaunch komic after each retry so I did not wanted to continue and get the optimised settings).
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #510
silver18
THE NOOB

I'll try this new JS asap!
After a quick review, you increased the time to 5sec and decreased the movement to 70px.
I know it works, and I'm happy to see users can use komic also in the PW!
BTW, this means you need to swipe for at least 5sec to trigger the swipe gesture. Isn't it a lot of time?!
I'll try it out anyway!

Sorry for the delay, 2.3 stable release was meant to be released a long time ago!
Anyway, I'm learning lots of new things at work and Komic will definitely take advanced of this!

Tags
launcher add-ons