Notices

Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #271
Budfudder
Enthusiast
Budfudder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
What are you using to read the resulting EPUB that you don't see a TOC?

Because I see exactly the TOC I expected to see in the merged EPUB you posted. I didn't merge them--I just looked inside the EPUBs you posted.

The only thing I can thing of (other than you're using a different reader) is that you mean an in-line TOC in the pages of the EPUB instead of the meta-data TOC...
I'm using the Calibre builtin viewer. What viewer are you using?

So your screenshot is of the meta-data TOC? How do you view that? I'm just opening the merged book in the Calibre viewer and going through the first few pages...expecting to see a TOC, and not seeing it.
Budfudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #272
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfudder View Post
I'm using the Calibre builtin viewer. What viewer are you using?
Yes, that's the standard builtin Calibre viewer (I am running with the 'monstre' icon set though).

Quote:
So your screenshot is of the meta-data TOC? How do you view that? I'm just opening the merged book in the Calibre viewer and going through the first few pages...expecting to see a TOC, and not seeing it.
EPUBs frequently don't have a TOC in the pages because the format defines a TOC in metadata. In the builtin Calibre viewer you can see it by hitting Ctrl-T or clicking the TOC button (usually a big 'T').

EpubMerge doesn't have any options for creating an inline TOC and I see no pressing need for one. There are other tools that can convert the metadata TOC to an inline TOC if you really want one.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #273
Budfudder
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, that's the standard builtin Calibre viewer (I am running with the 'monstre' icon set though).

EPUBs frequently don't have a TOC in the pages because the format defines a TOC in metadata. In the builtin Calibre viewer you can see it by hitting Ctrl-T or clicking the TOC button (usually a big 'T').

EpubMerge doesn't have any options for creating an inline TOC and I see no pressing need for one. There are other tools that can convert the metadata TOC to an inline TOC if you really want one.
Thanks - I think I understand.

Could you name a couple of the other tools that can convert the metadata TOC to an inline TOC?

Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #274
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks - I think I understand.

Could you name a couple of the other tools that can convert the metadata TOC to an inline TOC?

Thanks again.
Calibre Editor
There is a Insert inline TOC tool on the Tools toolbar
Since there is a NCX, generating a HTML TOC is a snap, since the Tool replicates what is in the NCX
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #275
Budfudder
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre Editor
Since there is a NCX, generating a HTML TOC is a snap, since the Tool replicates what is in the NCX
Thank you!
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #276
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre Editor
Also Calibre's Convert has an 'Insert TOC' option. You can convert EPUB to EPUB and apply it to several books at once.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:19 AM   #277
slvrsrfr
slvrsrfr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can't Get EpubMerge to Work

Issue resolved itself

Last edited by slvrsrfr; 10-30-2016 at 04:24 AM.
slvrsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:21 AM   #278
crullx
crullx began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T61
Question

Dear JimmXinu,

When I merge two ebooks, is there a way to take the value of "series" from the source book and use that automatically for the series field of the merged result?
I only see settings for custom columns, but what about regular columns?

Sometimes I merge hundreds of books and it's terribly tiring to copy and paste all those series entries manually after merging.

I know that if both books have the same series entry, then that will be used as the title of the merged book. But I don't want that.
I would like a setting, when I merge books, the plugin would ALWAYS use the value of series from the first source book for the merged result.
Is that possible for me to make this setting somehow? Or could you add this feature?
crullx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #279
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crullx View Post
I would like a setting, when I merge books, the plugin would ALWAYS use the value of series from the first source book for the merged result.
Is that possible for me to make this setting somehow? Or could you add this feature?
I could add an option for that. But what would the series number be set to? Sames as the first book? (If not specified, Calibre will automatically assign the next unused number in the series.)

Then the question is, if I'm modifying standard column behavior, what other standard columns changes should I add?

Standard columns are handled in these specific ways:
Spoiler:
  • Title: If all books in same Series, Title = Series, else Title from first source book
  • Authors: List of all Authors from all source books
  • Publisher: If all books have same Publisher, Publisher is set
  • Tags: List of all Tags from all source books
  • Languages: List of all Languages from all source books
  • Series: Empty
  • Comments: Titles & Authors list, or optionally Titles & Authors + source Comments
  • Cover: Cover from first source book

Anyone else have any opinions?

FYI, with the current PI, you could use a Series type custom column with a few extra steps at the start and finish of your 'hundreds' of merges. You could:
Spoiler:
  • Add a Series type custom column(example #text_series)
  • Use Calibre's Edit Metadata Search & Replace to copy standard Series to #text_series - See attached
  • In EpubMerge config, set #text_series to 'Take from first'
  • Do hundreds of merges
  • Use Calibre's Edit Metadata Search & Replace to copy #text_series to standard Series for the new merged books
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	223
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	153444  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #280
crullx

Quote:
I could add an option for that. But what would the series number be set to? Sames as the first book? (If not specified, Calibre will automatically assign the next unused number in the series.)

Then the question is, if I'm modifying standard column behavior, what other standard columns changes should I add?

Standard columns are handled in these specific ways:
Spoiler:
  • Title: If all books in same Series, Title = Series, else Title from first source book
  • Authors: List of all Authors from all source books
  • Publisher: If all books have same Publisher, Publisher is set
  • Tags: List of all Tags from all source books
  • Languages: List of all Languages from all source books
  • Series: Empty
  • Comments: Titles & Authors list, or optionally Titles & Authors + source Comments
  • Cover: Cover from first source book

Anyone else have any opinions?

FYI, with the current PI, you could use a Series type custom column with a few extra steps at the start and finish of your 'hundreds' of merges. You could:
Spoiler:
  • Add a Series type custom column(example #text_series)
  • Use Calibre's Edit Metadata Search & Replace to copy standard Series to #text_series - See attached
  • In EpubMerge config, set #text_series to 'Take from first'
  • Do hundreds of merges
  • Use Calibre's Edit Metadata Search & Replace to copy #text_series to standard Series for the new merged books
The series number in my case should also be taken from the first book.
I don't merge different part of series. I make dual language ebooks. All my merged books are the same part of the series.
My mother tongue is Hungarian.
So if I have a series with 3 episodes, instead of 6 books (3 English and 3 Hungarian books), I merge them into 3 English/Hungarian dual language books. It's easier to deal with them and find them this way.
So I don't need any variables for the series numbers because I only merge the same episode of a series with different languages.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #281
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version.

Add 'Series from first' option.

See if this works properly for you. The option defaults to off, so you'll need to go in and check it.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 12-13-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions - replaced by newer test or released version.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #282
crullx

Quote:
New test version.

Add 'Series from first' option.

See if this works properly for you. The option defaults to off, so you'll need to go in and check it.
Just tested it and seems awesome!
Thank you so much! It's exactly what I needed. I'm glad my English didn't fail me and I was able to explain what's my problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #283
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New version released

Version 2.1.0 - 13 Dec 2016
Add firstseries option feature.
Update Translations.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:19 AM   #284
dbillmanql
dbillmanql began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello, recently found this plug-in and forum. Has there been any progress on the IndexError problem report back on 8-1-2016 (post #253). I have been encountering it lately. I am trying to merge a book I previously merged and then edited. I did a similar thing to a number of book bit am only having the problem when I use one specific book. Thank you.
dbillmanql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #285
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbillmanql View Post
Hello, recently found this plug-in and forum. Has there been any progress on the IndexError problem report back on 8-1-2016 (post #253). I have been encountering it lately. I am trying to merge a book I previously merged and then edited. I did a similar thing to a number of book bit am only having the problem when I use one specific book. Thank you.
User Rellwood got me a copy of his epubs (via dropbox link in PM), but I could not reproduce his problem.

I believe I concluded that the metadata re-write that automatically occurs when saving the epubs out of calibre corrected the issue.

Anytime there's a problem with one specific book, it's usually caused by a problem in that book. If you can upload the epub somewhere and PM me a link, I can look at it.

Using Calibre's convert epub->epub or saving the epub and then re-importing it will frequently correct problems. Remember to save back-ups first.

Tags
calibre, combine books, epubmerge, make collection, merge epub, merge epubs