Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Carr0t
Carr0t began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Getting book covers from Amazon.co.uk, or other UK site?

Is this possible? I've updated the Amazon metadata source plugin to get data from Amazon's UK site but Calibre is still apparently getting covers from Amazon.com. The covers coming from Google tend to be the US ones as well, and in my opinion the UK covers for a lot of books are much better (the Culture series by Iain M. Banks and the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett for a start).
Carr0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have set the plugin to use UK then it will use amazon.co.uk, not amazon.com for both metadata and covers. Click the View log button in the download metadata dialog to check this.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-26-2011 at 02:15 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Carr0t

Fair enough. That being the case then, is there anything that will still cause it to hit the US site? If I have anything filled in or similar? For example I am searching for Inversions, by Iain M. Banks. This is the US cover: http://tinyurl.com/bodl57n which is what Calibre is telling me it has found on 'Amazon.com' and Google even though I have the Amazon metadata plugin set to UK and have tried restarting Calibre. Conversely, this is the UK version of the cover: http://tinyurl.com/bvqmby2

I note that the metadata plugin doesn't list cover data as one of the things it obtains. I've had a look through the available Calibre plugins to see if there was one to get covers that I could configure for Amazon UK, but I couldn't find anything.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Carr0t

Ahha. I think I got it. When Calibre first downloaded the metadata it auto-filled the ISBN, Amazon and Google IDs for the data it had found. I wiped that field and it found the correct covers on a rescan

Ta