Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
cyranesque
cyranesque began at the beginning.

Device: pocket eDGe
Post MS Word documents in reader?

So. I am a new (pocket) eDGer, egged on by the reviews about eDGe's edging over competition for the academics' market I bought 4. Everyone's describing how "you can basically choose to read any text in the reader section, just press the magic button here"..

PDF is pretty intuitive (though most pages have way too small print even if cropped out of their white margins through zoom - and reformatting the pdf through that reader option always screws up equations in the text. Amazing resolution for the small text though - but perhaps it is standard.. This is my first e-ink experiece.)

Websites are also nicely pooled into reader from the tablet's browser. But what about MS Word documents (no equations, just simple text) ? Even if pooled into the Library, I seem unable to display them in the Reader. The only option seems to be the (battery-wasting and not very reading-friendly, especially because of scrolling) docs2go thing.

I tried to search for help online, to no avail. That must mean one of two things (well, three actually).
Either I am missing something so obvious that the solution hasn't merited discussion, or there is no demand among users for reading word documents in the reader part.
I am disregarding the possibility that there is demand for this but nobody's been able to come up with solution yet. (Firstly, that very discussion would show up, and secondly, I am sure nothing is impossible in the edge-hackers' community..)

(The third possibility is that I utterly suck at searching.)

Any pointers would be really appreciated, I get way too many texts in word to read for constant conversions into pdf to be a practicable solution.

Thanks very much. Incidentally, first impressions are excellent, I'll try to upgrade to 2.2, even though people report some loss of screen-response agility, which I'm finding somewhat deficient already as it is.. I also know some people are against upgrading, but I found that most apps that I am used to from my phone require 2.0 minimum.. like The Economist, and others.. and I suspect this requirement will only get worse over time..
cyranesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You will probably appreciate the upgrade.

I created a Word document on my EE today, using Docs2Go, but have not tried to read any Word docs on the eink side. I will see if I can find a way (other than converting in Calibre) to do that.

Oh! I know one way -- look up LCD2eink, which is a program(?) created by Javese which allows you to read from the LCD side onto the eink side. I haven't installed it myself (just lazy) but I believe it is pretty fantastic!

Edit: I forgot to say Welcome!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Maybe find some work-around involving Google Docs (view as web page?) and the eDGe browser's e-ink conversion button? Just a thought. Somebody else run with it.
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
cyranesque
cyranesque began at the beginning.

Device: pocket eDGe
Thanks Filark and johnseeking for your thoughts and the welcome.

I have to admit that the upgrade pretty much saved me from returning the whole lot of 4 to the store, however much psyched up I may have been prior to its arrival. In the week of been playing around with it prior to an upgrade I could only install 1 (one!) app that I'd been used to from the no-bells-no-whistles-neither android phone of 2.2, namely the wonderful TuneIn. (Note to non-upgraders - even the latest version still works on the Dingo, you should check it out, pretty much all world's radio is on it, and it remains the best way of listening to BBC abroad since BBC's own app blocks out foreign traffic.) The upgrade now means that through the orkitra.com website I seem to have full access to the official android market (so I am still baffled why would anyone need anything else, but I am relatively new..).

Amazingly, even the gestures on the screen seem to have a better response than under the Dingo!

About LCD2eink - I will definitely give it a go, once all other avenues have been exploited to no avail. Rooting the device necessary for LCD2eink is a next big step whose comparison to mere Ermine upgrade can be characterised by comparing later to earlier editions of the Hitchhiker's Guide - with the epitaph "harmless" changed to "mostly harmless" ;-)

As to the proposed google docs solutions - seems a reasonable path, thanks, especially since the docs I need to read (and comment on) come to me usually by email. However, the original gmail.com page (with its "view online" links for attached .docs) is inaccessible from a tablet (just tells you to download gmail app) and the official tablet access through m.google.com/mail does not offer those links to "view online". :-( (But as usual, perhaps I'm missing something..)

Last edited by cyranesque; 12-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.
cyranesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
there are epub creators for android where you can use doc to create epubs
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Simpler way is to use the http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub to convert your file to epub format. You should be able to do it from the PE as well (otherwise, do it from the desktop then email or otherwise copy the epub to the PE).

I just tried it on a word document...

Last edited by tekknogenius; 12-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
http://dotepub.com/ this does both webpages and docs.
works fine from dolphin on my PE
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, microsoft, reader, word