Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 02:19 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Harry, you made the statement:

This could be significant if you want to buy commercial eBooks.”

Forgive my ignorance but could you please explain “commercial ebooks”?
I’m new to the ebook world and haven’t learned the jargon yet.
eBooks that you buy from bookstores like Amazon, as opposed to free eBooks, which you create yourself from "Project Gutenberg" texts, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Gen3 won't be coming out with PDF support. And we don't know if they are planning on Digital Editions support either.
Jon,

I think you might have misunderstood the commentary on the French video. It didn't say that the CyBook wouldn't support PDF; it said that (as we all know) you can't properly support A4/Letter PDFs on such a small screen, but that Bookeen were planning to release a device with a large screen which would properly support such PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Who said? 'Cause I talk with the developers and I'd think they would tell NAEB if PDF is a no-go.

Derek
It eas posted someplace on MobileRead. PDF just isn't doable well enough on a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Yeahbut...

That doesn't mean it *can't* support PDFs at all, just that - as with any 6" eInk display - it does a shitty job of displaying large-page (A4, etc) PDF pages.

I've got Acrobat Pro and Serif PagePlus 12 and both of them allow me to create docs formatted to the screen size that both Sony and Cybook use. The problem isn't that Cybook can't display them at all, just that most commercially available PDF files are not formatted for that screen size.

But I don't care as I use my eInk device for reading novels and most of them I've wanted to read (Now counting over 6,000 titles.) are available in eReader, Mobipocket or MS Reader format.

And, yes, I've done a lot of extracting text and graphics from PDF books lately so that I can run them through BookDesigner for the Sony. Makes reading many of those photoshop tutorials quite nice.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It eas posted someplace on MobileRead. PDF just isn't doable well enough on a 6" screen.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote