Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many 'must-buy authors from the Big 6 do you have?
Less than five---I follow a few big names but can take or leave the rest 41 44.09%
5-10- I like certain big name authors 21 22.58%
0- I only read indie books or library books 16 17.20%
Other 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Only three for whom I really do get practically everything they put out the moment it comes out.

But I do it in paper, both for longevity value and to match the rest of my collection of their books, although I'm willing to pick up their e-editions as a supplement if they're very cheaply priced or can be made so by an additional discount.

There are a couple of other "nice to have" favourite authors that I'm perfectly happy to pick up when there's a sale/I've some spare money, but otherwise quite willing to wait to read a library copy first and see if I like the book enough to actually buy.

I should add that aside from Terry Pratchett, my three authors are not really big names at all, even in their particular genres. More like middling-successful midlist with a decent fan following enough to keep their careers afloat.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I only have a few authors I want all their works, but I don't pay agency pricing for new ebooks, either. I tended to wait for the paperbacks to hit the market, if a hardback was released, so I am content to wait for prices to come down. If they don't come down I won't buy the book. I refuse to pay $13-16 for an ebook, which is what the books I'm keeping my eye on are going for.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Each book I buy is a book that is selected because I want to read it for different reasons and the book is not exchangeable with any other books. So potentially all books I read (50-100 per year) can be from the bug 6 publishers.

So I think the question is irrelevant for what you want to show.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be honest, without looking up the publishers of my favorite authors... I'd have no clue. But I'd have to guess my number is rather high -- given that I don't usually read many indie authors or works in the public domain. So by process of elimination, I'm guessing that the vast majority of my "gotta have it" purchases are from the "Big Six."

Oh well. I'm not interested in changing old habits this late in the game.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-10-2011 at 01:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't that depend how much profit they're making per book? If the book is costing them $11, then:

Sell 10,000 ebooks at $14 each = $30,000 profit
Sell 20,000 ebooks at $10 each = $20,000 loss

I'm not suggesting that it does cost $11, of course, but there's more to it than you suggest.

Simplification. There's no way I can, or would want to, get into the all the small details. Although if it were an economics class that might be fun. But for a general discussion we must simplify.

I guess that I'm obliquely referring to an old program called Lemonade Stand.

The basic premise was that if your product is priced too high, people won’t buy. Too little and people will buy, but if the costs to produce it are too high, you'll go out of business.

And whatever the cost of producing a particular book may be, I could care less. For $10, or less, I can find a lot of books that I'll want to read. At $15 - $25, almost none. And if I have to wait for the price to come down a year later I'll have forgotten that it is even exists. All their advertising wasted.

Books are basically the same as any other product, and it doesn't matter how good it is. History is filled with companies that had great products, but failed because they couldn't control their costs.

Do I want the major publishers to fail? No, that's up to the decisions they make. The only decision I can make is how much do I want to spend.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Back on topic.

There were only three authors that I would pay a higher price for their books without hesitating. Two are dead and the other one, if alive, no longer writes.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Off the top of my head, two, and one of those hasn't released a book in a few years.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Zero - my favorite authors are all dead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #24
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'd guess 5-10, but I still wait until the prices go down to something reasonable. I recently bought "Changes" by Jim Butcher, after the price finally went down from 12.99 to 8.99. I can read an average novel in just a few hours, so I feel like I shouldn't spend too much on something I'll zip through in 4 or 5 hours. At least several of the "must buy" authors' books I will reread at some point, so there is some value to that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I have a lot of authors I follow, but I still have price limits. Ten dollars used to be a no brainer click. But all the arguments from publishers about why they have to charge so much for an ebook has convinced me that $10 is probably too much for a DRM encumbered ebook. Especially when there are so many good reads for much much less.

The whole agency thing is just so wrong. And now HarperCollins and the 26 download limit for libraries really aggravates me. It makes me think about becoming a pirate in protest.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Beyond The Agency matter is something which had me mostly avoiding a lot of established authors already. That is so many authors I once enjoyed today have devolved into the serialized equivalent of a "puppy mill". Too many series with the same characters and the same plots. After 2-3 of those I have had enough, most of the time it's actually after the first and about a third the way into the 2nd.

So, combine that with the new pricing model and, well, I'll opt for more indie and smaller houses for my books. On top of it are all the "classics" I've never read out there for no charge at all.

Even Amazon currently pretty much gets zero of the dollars I spend on fiction reading. Well, they do sort of via Audible but that is essentially the end of it. Non-fiction reference and research books are a different issue but I don't care who the publisher is there. I need them so I buy them if there is a reasonably well done ebook option now.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't that depend how much profit they're making per book? If the book is costing them $11, then:

Sell 10,000 ebooks at $14 each = $30,000 profit
Sell 20,000 ebooks at $10 each = $20,000 loss

I'm not suggesting that it does cost $11, of course, but there's more to it than you suggest.
Once the eBook is out there, the money is spent except for the cost to add DRM. So there does come a point where X number of copies at Y price is where they break even and X+1 is where they make a profit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #28
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I don't have anyone who is an auto-buy anymore. My ebook limit is around $8-12, and almost all the new releases are priced higher than that. I can wait until they hit my price limit, but most of my authors are carried at the library, so I've read them that way.

The Agency 6 lost about $1200 off me in 2010, and so far I've spent nothing in 2011. All my reading has been library books or passed-on freebies. And I've picked up 1 new hobby and gone back to an old one to spend (some of) my time, and money.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #29
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Since I was used to waiting for pbacks, I don't mind the wait till pback prices. I buy a couple of books on the release date, the rest I wait till the price drops and get the hardcover from the library.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Neil Gaiman is my top must-buy. I am into Bill Willingham's fable graphic novels and am buying them but I wouldn't eread a graphic novel.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote