Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
rbrohman
rbrohman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
tabbed browsing

I love the Kindle 3 I received for Christmas. It's been a great e-reader so far and really nails it's core function.

The web browser is a really nice addition. Google Reader (full site, not the stripped mobile version) works very well - for feeds that contain the full article. But many of my RSS feeds are "stubs" only, where only the first few paragraphs of an article are delivered via RSS and you must follow through to the source site to read full article. Because Google Reader attempts to open the source site in a new tab, the Kindle browser cannot handle this currently.

Are there any hacks to get tabbed browsing working on the kindle? I think that this device could be the perfect inexpensive newspaper replacement with this addition. Any ideas?

Thanks
rbrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've been using G:RSS for Google feeds and it seems the best alternative so far, since there's a link that takes you to the original article within the browser.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100763
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
rbrohman

Thanks for the idea.

I gave G:RSS a shot, and it's fairly good. But not nearly as nice as the full Reader interface. I used this tip from wired, http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...e-news-reader/ and have a Reader experience that almost matches that on an actual PC. I also found that G:RSS was very sluggish; it seemed to take forever to pull up articles or even just going back into the feed list.

Is there any way to force the browser to open links in the current window/tab, rather than trying to load a separate one?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
rbrohman

Do any of the jailbreaks enable an enhanced browser? Is it possible to root my K3 and get an alternative browser installed?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
AFAIK, there aren't any good alternatives for the browser. There's one hack where it modifies the Article Mode to instead convert links with target="_blank" to target="_self". In other words, selecting the Article Mode would force links to open in the same window, but then, you would lose article mode =(
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
omk
omk is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Are you refering to the privoxy workaround or something else ?
After installing SSTimeOut, this is the last major usability nit I have with the k3, so anxious to find a solution...

Thanks
omk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
The Article Mode workaround is a different thing than the Privoxy one and it has been working for me so far. You don't really loose the Article Mode. One you select it, it gives you the option of either going to the Article Mode or fixing the links. It can be found in a seemingly unrelated thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=101705&page=2

(btw doesnt work for gmail, only the html version)
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser