Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Oliver Sacks 1933-2015

One of my favorite writers past away today.

NY Times.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I just read that. His was a brilliant mind.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Here's a collection of recent articles by and interviews with Sacks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...g-list/401993/
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Besides being an excellent writer, he seemed to be a lovable guy. Rest in peace.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not an author I'm familiar with. What did he write? Can anyone recommend any of his books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
He wrote awakenings.
Maybe you saw the movie.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
He wrote awakenings.
Maybe you saw the movie.
No, I don't believe so. It doesn't ring a bell, at least. I'll take a look at his bibliography and see if there's anything I recognise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not an author I'm familiar with. What did he write? Can anyone recommend any of his books?
I think The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is an excellent starting point. I've been told that An Anthropologist on Mars is even better, but I haven't read it yet.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
His autobiography (On The Move) is very good, obviously his most personal, and sets the context for most of his books, and much more. I have read 2-3 of his other books and hope to read the rest of them one day.

He was a several-time guest on science podcast 'radiolab':
http://www.radiolab.org/people/dr-oliver-sacks/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I think The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is an excellent starting point. I've been told that An Anthropologist on Mars is even better, but I haven't read it yet.
Both excellent! Also Musicophilia, The Mind's Eye ... just about anything he wrote is worth reading.

Oliver Sacks had a way of showing the humanity in people that others might have treated as case studies.

The movie Awakenings, starring Robin Williams, was adapted only loosely from the book, IMHO, but it's still a very good movie. Just don't expect it to substitute for the book.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
An Anthropologist on Mars is the only one I've read; I agree that it's brilliant. Always wanted to read more after that but somehow have never got round to it...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
cromag

The first hour of today's Science Friday included a tribute to Oliver Sacks. It was very well done, and adds some insights to the man and researcher. If you didn't catch it, it's available as a podcast from Itunes, or at the Science Friday website.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/audio/scifriaudio.xml

I haven't listened to the second hour yet (my local station only carries the first hour of Science Friday) but it seems to include a segment on NeuroTribes, a new book on the history of autism. Dr. Sacks wrote the foreword. I have heard an extended interview with the author, Steve Silberman, and I was very impressed, so I'm looking forward to listening this weekend.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Both excellent! Also Musicophilia, The Mind's Eye ... just about anything he wrote is worth reading.

Oliver Sacks had a way of showing the humanity in people that others might have treated as case studies.

The movie Awakenings, starring Robin Williams, was adapted only loosely from the book, IMHO, but it's still a very good movie. Just don't expect it to substitute for the book.
Also, if you pickup a copy of Awakenings to read be sure to get the second edition. It expands several of the "stories" with additional information about what has happened to the individuals since the publication of the first edition.

Sacks was also a major consultant for the movie Rainman and shaped many of the details. The spilled matches scene is lifted from a true incident he experienced with one of his patients.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote