Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Gone with the Wind (movie)

Did anyone else go see this in theaters on Sunday or Wednesday for the 75th anniversary?

I know it's had several theatrical releases since it first came out, but I have honestly never seen it in theaters before. It was simply breathtaking.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The truth? I went to see it in a movie theater that specialized in "Classic cinema" back in 1974 with my college girlfriend.

Fortunately, she'd seen it several times before, because I really didn't like it. About halfway through I asked her if we could leave.

That's just my opinion, of course. Lot's of people like it a lot, obviously.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Things have certainly changed in the movie business since it came out. They were fined $500.00 for the one swear word near the end when Rhett tells Scarlett that he doesn't give a damn, and now they say more than that on regular TV sometimes I think. It (swearing) may be more realistic but it also gets old very quickly as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag
The truth? I went to see it in a movie theater that specialized in "Classic cinema" back in 1974 with my college girlfriend.

Fortunately, she'd seen it several times before, because I really didn't like it. About halfway through I asked her if we could leave.

The movie is a lot slower in the first half than the second half. (The second half moves VERY fast.) That's not to say you would have liked it had you stayed, it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
The important thing is that you went with her and tried it.
I wanted my husband to go with me, unfortunately he was not able to make it. Although, there are parts he might have liked - I don't think he would have liked it. (And I did warn him about that when I asked him.)

This is one of my absolute favorite movies and I was just very excited to actually see it in theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70
Things have certainly changed in the movie business since it came out. They were fined $500.00 for the one swear word near the end when Rhett tells Scarlett that he doesn't give a damn, and now they say more than that on regular TV sometimes I think. It (swearing) may be more realistic but it also gets old very quickly as well.
I know Selznick tried having the line without any swearing to avoid the fine and all the test audiences said that the line just didn't have the wham impact it was supposed to. In the end he decided it was his movie and he'd just eat the fine. Certainly paid off in the end.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

I didn't want to be the first person to say it, but I also saw it (years ago) in college, and was disgusted with the time I'd wasted.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post

I know Selznick tried having the line without any swearing to avoid the fine and all the test audiences said that the line just didn't have the wham impact it was supposed to. In the end he decided it was his movie and he'd just eat the fine. Certainly paid off in the end.
I can see that. I mean if Rhett had said,"Frankly my dear I don't care." or some such it just seems to soften the moment up too much. It's like he doesn't even care enough about the argument to even show any emotion. But with the way he did say it you can almost feel his anger yourself. For that moment you are Rhett Butler telling his estranged wife off. Like it or loath it the movie is a classic of the media.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I saw it at our local theater in '68 or '69 when I was in the 8th grade. It must have been the 30th anniversary.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I saw it at our local theater in '68 or '69 when I was in the 8th grade. It must have been the 30th anniversary.
Just a bit before my time as I was born at the end of 70.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Did anyone else go see this in theaters on Sunday or Wednesday for the 75th anniversary?

I know it's had several theatrical releases since it first came out, but I have honestly never seen it in theaters before. It was simply breathtaking.
I seriously have not watched this movie before! And I'm in the roller coaster of having terrible longing for classic books and movies after just recently watching Casablanca. The 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn' line is too famous I want to know the storyline goes. Maybe on our next movie night with friends we can finally watch it.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I seriously have not watched this movie before! And I'm in the roller coaster of having terrible longing for classic books and movies after just recently watching Casablanca. The 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn' line is too famous I want to know the storyline goes. Maybe on our next movie night with friends we can finally watch it.
The late George Reeves (Superman) has a role in the movie as one of a pair of twin brothers.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I watched this in a theater when I was about 14 years old. Not one of the currently common multiplexes, but one of the surviving theaters from the golden age of films as the visual entertainment option. I was much taken with the whole spectacle. The love story, especially the Scarlet-Rhett one, not so much. I just could not see what anyone would see in Scarlet other than that she was hot looking.

I saw in again when I was about 22 years old I think. To add to my previous impressions was that it was a glorification of the Old South and slavery, something Margaret Mitchell intended.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I watched this in a theater when I was about 14 years old. Not one of the currently common multiplexes, but one of the surviving theaters from the golden age of films as the visual entertainment option. I was much taken with the whole spectacle. The love story, especially the Scarlet-Rhett one, not so much. I just could not see what anyone would see in Scarlet other than that she was hot looking.

I saw in again when I was about 22 years old I think. To add to my previous impressions was that it was a glorification of the Old South and slavery, something Margaret Mitchell intended.
Don't forget that back when she was a kid there would probably have still been some Civil War vets still living as well. As far as movies making slavery look 'not so bad' there was also Disney's "Song of the South" which I remember seeing as a child. Uncle Remus is shown walking around the countryside singing among other things. That's not likely to have been the case back in the day of course. Letting a slave wander around by themselves instead of at work in some way? Very unrealistic.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There was a guy in Atlanta whose last name was Duda. He had his name legally changed to Zippety Duda.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote