Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Non Geeky (Acceptable Stylish) Sleeve Line for Various Gadget Sizes?

I don't like 'book cover' styles. Like simple sleeves (for my obvious reasons).

Most designers offer only 2 sizes in these: iPad and iPhone (they even forget about the ever popular iPad Mini). Not to mention Kindle, Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy S4 sizes.

Is the a manufacturer oy stylish leather/canvas cases who offers a whole range of matching sleeves for a list of gadgets?

Is there still a market for sleeves or everone moved to these [useless/ugly: sorry, just my opinion] fake book covers?

I have this on my Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Percent-G.../dp/B005XX6Q0C

Yeah, not a fashion dictator but at least more than acceptable look compared to 98% of the market today. Though they also don't carry this line in sizes for other gadgets, also cleverly discontinued, maybe on one buys these anymore.

Ps. I guess this forum uses the auto-size function for images, cleverly.

Last edited by avid01; 10-26-2013 at 08:20 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
I don't like 'book cover' styles. Like simple sleeves (for my obvious reasons).

Most designers offer only 2 sizes in these: iPad and iPhone (they even forget about the ever popular iPad Mini). Not to mention Kindle, Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy S4 sizes.

Is the a manufacturer oy stylish leather/canvas cases who offers a whole range of matching sleeves for a list of gadgets?

Is there still a market for sleeves or everone moved to these [useless/ugly: sorry, just my opinion] fake book covers?

I have this on my Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Percent-G.../dp/B005XX6Q0C
Oberon do a number of sleeve sizes: http://oberondesign.com/e-reader-covers.html

Not cheap, but absolutely beautiful.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Aesthetics are a matter of taste, but "useless"? Your device is only protected while in the sleeve, and unless it's a rigid sleeve it won't be well protected from twisting/bending forces at all. Well-made book-style cases are rigid and protect the device from drops, impacts, and twisting/bending 100% of the time, instead of only after being put away.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I don't know who the manufacturer was, but I have picked up a couple of sleeves at the local dollar store. They have various styles and to come in various sizes. You won't find the fancy (read: gaudy) designs that you can find in online store, but they do seem to be less expensive than anything that I've seen online. Maybe your local dollar stores will have something similar.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Etsy has tons of sleeves for iPad, Kindle, etc. and often the seller will make a custom sleeve in any size you want. I don't know if it's your style but there are very nice-looking ones in felt with leather trim.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
There is still market for both simple and upmarket sleeves. I use an inexpensive Swiss Gear (Wenger) zippered sleeve for my Kindle PW and, before that, for my Sony 650 -- http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-LEGA...qid=1382465323

Styling is very plain but it has proven to be small, light, protective and durable (several years old now and still looks fine).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Oberon do a number of sleeve sizes: http://oberondesign.com/e-reader-covers.html

Not cheap, but absolutely beautiful.
Thanks, really lot of styles, though they have a distinct style which is definitively not mine.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I don't know who the manufacturer was, but I have picked up a couple of sleeves at the local dollar store. They have various styles and to come in various sizes. You won't find the fancy (read: gaudy) designs that you can find in online store, but they do seem to be less expensive than anything that I've seen online. Maybe your local dollar stores will have something similar.
I might thy the euro stores here!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Aesthetics are a matter of taste, but "useless"? Your device is only protected while in the sleeve, and unless it's a rigid sleeve it won't be well protected from twisting/bending forces at all. Well-made book-style cases are rigid and protect the device from drops, impacts, and twisting/bending 100% of the time, instead of only after being put away.
I truly think it's kind of useless to have a cover on your tablet, reader, always. You can't reach the buttons as it was intended/designed.

Compare that to when you use a laptop it is not covered, first you put it out from it's carry case. You see?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I truly think it's kind of useless to have a cover on your tablet, reader, always. You can't reach the buttons as it was intended/designed.

Compare that to when you use a laptop it is not covered, first you put it out from it's carry case. You see?
When you're not using a laptop, you generally close its lid, which protects it. The issue is that eInk devices are a lot more fragile than laptops, and it's very easy to damage the screen. The rare occasions on which I've dropped reading devices have been while I was using them, and the case has protected them.

Of course it's a matter of personal choice, but I'd never use an eInk reader without a case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
That sounds strange to me. I've never had that problem with cases.

I've had sleeves, but don't care for them. I don't think they protect all that well, and become just another accessory that I have to keep track of. Once you take it off, you have to put it where you can find it again. If I'm out and about I can stick it in my purse, but found around the house, (where I need it just like outside the house) I just end up leaving it somewhere and have to do a search.

I'm more into skins for the back and a smart cover. Then a case if they don't come with a smartcover.

But, no, I've never had a problem reaching any of the buttons on any of my readers in a case.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On many modern readers you never need use a button. The Kindle PW, for example, only has one button (the on/off switch), but if it's in a case with a built-in magnet, you don't even have to use that; the magnet in the case turns it on and off when you open and close the cover. Same with most iPad covers, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

No problem at all here reaching the power button on my Glo (not that I need it, the cover wakes/sleeps the device), nor the Home or Power buttons on my iPad or iPhone. All have cases.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I like the sleeve that came as part of my Paperwhite prize from last December's contest. The same company also makes sleeves and carry cases for other electronic devices I believe.
click So far I've had no trouble with my sleeve from the company. It's even saved my reader from damage a few times when it was dropped.
Kindle slipcase

Last edited by crich70; 10-26-2013 at 08:31 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I usually look for an EVA zippered case. Not a cover and not a sleeve. Searching on Amazon for that gives 47,000 entries. The one I use on my KPW is:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...er+case+kindle. It rides in my briefcase every work day. Various ones come in assorted colors and patterns.

I had a larger one for my K3. The K3 eventually died because I wore out the button circuit board, not external wear and tear. I think both of them were less than $10.

As for not-geeky. That's a matter of taste. Are these geeky? Beats me, but my hardware doesn't break.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote