Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
New OverDrive Apps for Android & iOS

OverDrive just released v2.4.2 for Android & iOS

Quote:
Here’s good news for patrons using Apple and Android devices to enjoy eBooks and audiobooks from the library: We recently released new versions of OverDrive Media Console for iOS and Android platforms. With these new apps, users will notice “look and feel” changes as well as improved overall performance.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I just updated my overdrive app on my Droid about ten minutes ago. Please don't tell me it's got a new interface, I was just getting used to the old one!
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't tried it out yet. As soon as I'm done listening to Hannibal (from iTunes U), I plan to check out an audiobook from the library. I'll run the app through its paces then.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My dissatisfaction with the Overdrive apps is the inability to return books early. If they have enabled this feature, I am there!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My dissatisfaction with the Overdrive apps is the inability to return books early. If they have enabled this feature, I am there!
Not sure about the new app, but you can now return MP3 audiobooks early on a Windows PC:

Quote:
We recently released a new version of OverDrive Media Console for Windows computers. In addition to the usual navigation and playback features enabling users to download and enjoy OverDrive audiobooks, music, and video on Windows computers, the updated desktop application—OMC v3.2.2—allows users to return MP3 audiobooks before the end of the specified lending period. The early-return feature is sure to please your library’s audiobook enthusiasts.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

My problem with the OverDrive app is its inability to download Kindle and WMA formats. It only allows EPUB and MP3. Since the vast majority of library audiobooks are in WMA, I find this feature of the app to be basically worthless.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My problem with the OverDrive app is its inability to download Kindle and WMA formats. It only allows EPUB and MP3. Since the vast majority of library audiobooks are in WMA, I find this feature of the app to be basically worthless.
I agree. If they could somehow add support for DRM'd WMA the app would be 1,000 times more worthwhile at least for me.

Here's what's new in the updates...

Android
Quote:
Added large and small Home screen widgets.
Added a multi-column landscape eBook setting.
Added bold fonts to the eBook Font Style setting.
Added eBook image viewer. Long-press any image in the eBook to view full-size, with zoom control.
Other bug fixes and performance improvements.

iThings
Quote:
Added new reader settings:
-Text Alignment
-Page Margins
-Line Spacing
-Font Selection

Optimized for iPad Retina display
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Multi-column landscape is big.
Especially on tablets...
Off to download we go.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
I just downloaded an Adobe protected ePub from my library via Overdrive's Android app. There is an option to return it early - I just did!
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1234 View Post
I just downloaded an Adobe protected ePub from my library via Overdrive's Android app. There is an option to return it early - I just did!
K for you and a big thank you!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Not sure about the new app, but you can now return MP3 audiobooks early on a Windows PC:

I downloaded the new version of Overdrive a couple of weeks ago, and it advertised the early return of books, however, I can't find how to do it. I verified I had the latest version.

Can someone enlighten me???

Windows 7

Overdrive ver. 3.2.2.0
Windows Media player ver. 12.0.7601.17514
Windows Media player DRM ver. 2.9.0.1
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I downloaded the new version of Overdrive a couple of weeks ago, and it advertised the early return of books, however, I can't find how to do it. I verified I had the latest version.

Can someone enlighten me???

Windows 7

Overdrive ver. 3.2.2.0
Windows Media player ver. 12.0.7601.17514
Windows Media player DRM ver. 2.9.0.1
What are you trying to return - an ebook or an MP3 audiobook? The new return policy only applies to MP3 audiobooks.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
What are you trying to return - an ebook or an MP3 audiobook? The new return policy only applies to MP3 audiobooks.
The only thing my Overdrive downloads are my audio books, and I only checkout and/or buy MP3's.

All my ebooks are checked out and/or bought with Adobe ADE () Don't know how to do it differently, but I make it work just fine.

So it's my MP3's on overdrive I'd like to return early.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
The only thing my Overdrive downloads are my audio books, and I only checkout and/or buy MP3's.

All my ebooks are checked out and/or bought with Adobe ADE () Don't know how to do it differently, but I make it work just fine.

So it's my MP3's on overdrive I'd like to return early.
Try this link from OverDrive:

How to return a borrowed MP3 audiobook using OverDrive Media Console for Windows

Quote:
Note: Only MP3 audiobooks downloaded after you install the OverDrive Media Console v3.2.2.0 update will have the return option.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
My OverDrive app can do that. When I go to delete a book, I have the option to "return and delete" for eBooks. The option to return early for audiobooks was supposed to be added in this update.

To the person that asked about the interface: I updated my OverDrive yesterday and the interface looks the same to me. I use it only for eBooks though, so can't speak as to the audiobook interface.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote