Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
NT USB charging?

My wife, quickly tiring of sharing the NT she got me Christmas, has bought her own. She pointed out something in the Quick Start Guide that I'd missed. According the guide, and I quote:

NOTE: To charge your NOOK, you must plug it into a wall outlet. Your NOOK will not charge when connected to a computer.

Now, even though I've never run into a battery operated/handheld device that wouldn't charge off of its USB/sync cable, I really have no reason to doubt this but I was certain I'd left my NT plugged in before going to bed one night, almost completely dead, and got up the next morning to find it fully charged.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the NT will charge off the USB cable while plugged into a computer or if, as the guide says, it will only charge off the AC adapter?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Most tablet devices won't charge via USB (or atleast charge well). They need more power than a USB port puts out to charge in a decent amount of time.

I haven't tried the Nook Tab, but with my Transformer and Nook Color I got some charge as long as I didn't try using them while 'charging' that way.

I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't come out with a dual USB charging cable for any of these devices that draws power from two ports (I had something similar in the early days of portable hard drives).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The Tablet and the Color both have custom MiniUSB ports (and cables and chargers) that have extra pins to allow for faster charging. Use of other cables and chargers (including a computer) will either 'trickle' charge or potentially discharge the battery depending upon what's happening. YMMV, [insert other disclaimers here],....

It's easier for us to say just use the charger/cable in the box, than it is to provide a properly nuanced view in the user documentation, since no matter how carefully you write something like that, you will never get it quite right (and customer complaints/lawsuits etc follow).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Understood. I'll just make certain to continue to plug it into the wall then, rather than leaving it plugged into my computer overnight. All the more reason to actually read quick start guides and user manuals!

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Just to chip in, the NT will charge from the USB cable when connect to a PC; it is not mentioned in the guide because the consumption of the device while in use is greater than the 0.5A the PC is providing, so the NT is actually discharging when in use and connect to a PC, though at a lower rate than if not connected at all. If you do not use it, then it will charge the battery, but much slower than a wall charger (about 4 times slower).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Some of the newer computers out these days have "charging USB Ports" on the front of the computer - one that specifically outputs more power for fast charging things like tablets.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Both the NC and the NT can be charged with any USB port or USB charger. It just will take longer (about 7 hours for a full charge), and you cannot use it while charging.
You will also get no charging message on the screen, because that is only triggered by the power charger.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
As mentioned, a few computers have charging USB ports that are designed to output 1amp of power instead of the USB2.0 max of .5amp, so it would charge on those ports. On a regular .5amp USB port, it'll charge if in sleep mode or off. If on, it depends on what you are doing. Sitting idle, it'll probably charge a bit, but not much. In actual use it'll consume more power than the .5amp the port outputs, so you'll be discharging, albiet very slowly.

Same thing I get with my iPad2. If I leave it connected and asleep to a USB port and I wake the thing up 15 or 20 minutes later the charge level will have gone up maybe 2 or 3%. If I leave it awake and connected then there is no noticable charging that occurs over the same period of time at idle. Never tried using it much while connected over USB to my computer.

Connected to a 1amp charger it'll deffinitely charge even when in use, but a lot slower than when alseep (and when connected to a 2.1amp charger, it'll charge really fast).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
How fast does the NT charge using a standard micro-USB cable (rather than its special 12-pin cable) connected to a 1 amp wall charger?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
How fast does the NT charge using a standard micro-USB cable (rather than its special 12-pin cable) connected to a 1 amp wall charger?
I expect about the same as the NC. Which for my NC is about 7 hours.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote