Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
Sharon Jackson
Sharon Jackson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Problems restoring a Kobo Glo SD image using Mac

I updated to the 4.3.X firmware accidentally (did not realise using pocket via wifi would trigger a firmware update), and then I must have made a mistake while trying to downgrade my firmware to get the old home screen back. As a result, after my kobo went into updating mode, it ended up with a mostly black screen with a few white wavy vertical lines.

I worked out I probably needed to reimage my SD card. So I have obtained two SD images (one through this forum, one from my children's kobo, which I have saved as kidkobo.img on my mac desktop) but I am having trouble restoring either of these images to my SD card.

Using Disk Utility, I get the following messages when I try to Restore image:
"Restore process has failed. Click Done to continue."
Under the Details:
Validating target...
Validating source...
The volume on device "" is not of type Apple_HFS or Apple_UFS
Could not validate source - Device not configured
Operation failed..."

So then I tried using Terminal.
I used the following code:
sudo dd bs=2048 if kidkobo.img of=/dev/disk1
(found this code instruction here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Rest...Card-MAC-OS-X/).
Terminal asked me for my password, which I entered.
Then it returned the following:
dd: kidkobo.img: No such file or directory.

***Why can't Terminal find the .img file?***

I have tried it with the image file provided form one of the mobileread forum members (thank you very much davidfor) and Terminal returns the same "No such file or directory" text.

If anyone would be so kind as to help me with my problem, please understand that I haven't studied coding since I went to uni in the 1990s, and never with macs. So please use very simple, "for dummies" language. If it helps, I am running macOS Sierra v10.12.5. I am hoping desperately to downgrade the kobo glo HD to 3.19.5761 or even 3.15.0 to get the "old" home screen back.
Sharon Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
mebibou
mebibou began at the beginning.

Did you ever managed to make it work? there is a missing "=" in the command you posted here, should be

sudo dd bs=2048 if=kidkobo.img of=/dev/disk1

But I was just trying the same, after 1h it finished the command but I was unable to access the SD card after that
mebibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Sharon Jackson
Sharon Jackson began at the beginning.

Thanks for the advice

I ended up returning it to the point of sale and upgraded to a Kobo Aura.
Sharon Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote