Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
JesseTheK
JesseTheK began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4 + KyBook3, Macbook Pro & Calibre
Unhappy fixed! Mac "Network Error" but I Have Net Access

On my primary (Admin) user account, I launch a fresh install of Kobo Desktop, click sign in, get error message
Network Error
Oops, something happening to your internet connection. Please check your connection and try again.
All my other apps can connect to the net fine. The iOS Kobo app I read with connects fine.

So I tested this with a fresh user account: installed Kobo from disk image and first launch I'm already signed in.

What lingering file or other mystery is preventing me from signing in on my primary, admin account?

What I've done:
  1. Searched here, found nothing
  2. Used CleanMyMac3 to delete all installations of ADE and Kobo. After this deletion I always empty my trash and reboot.
  3. I have tried reinstalling Kobo many times.
  4. I have tried reinstalling ADE first, with both 2.0 and 3.0 versions, and then reinstalling Kobo.

My setup:
Kobo Mac Desktop 4.4.6339
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13.1" early2015)
2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5
8 gb RAM 1867 Mhz DDR3, 500 gb Flash HD
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1526 MB
MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

Last edited by JesseTheK; 08-05-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add the fix!
JesseTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have a firewall where Kobo Desktop is not given access?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
JesseTheK

Brilliant suggestion! I'm no sysadmin.

I did just use System Prefs -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall Options to add "Kobo" set to "allow incoming connections" to the apps permitted to connect.

I do permit both "allow built-in" and "allow downloaded signed software" to receive incoming connections.

I rebooted and I still get the error message.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Toadsfather
Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo
Same issue

After using migration assistant to migrate to a a new mac, I'm seeing this error. Have removed all traces of the desktop app and reinstalled.

This is the only app which has failed since migrating to the new mac.

Very frustrating.

Was a solution found?
Toadsfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
Toadsfather
Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Toadsfather , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo
Fixed

By deleting the following files:
/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences.com.kobo.Kobo Desktop Edition.plist
/Users/<username>/Library/Saved Application state/com.kobo.desktop.Kobo.savedState

..and folder

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Kobo/Kobo Desktop Edition

..and reinstalled the app, it triggered the new account login in the app and synched just fine.

Toadsfather
Toadsfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
JesseTheK

I took a slightly different path which also fixed it. (My uninstaller had already removed the Saved Application state file)

There were two files in the folder
com.kobo.desktop.Kobo
which itself was within several very random alpha-numeric strings inside
/private/var/folders/*
This is how I found that elusive folder. I used the handy, free EasyFind utility from Devon Technologies or the Mac App Store

...and I searched for the string "kobo".

(I also ticked the following boxes:
SEARCH FOR
- Files & Folders
OPERATOR
- All words
COMPARISON
- Ignore case
INCLUDE
- Package contents
- Invisible files & folders)

Finally, I clicked on the "where" column to sort by location. I realized I could leave the files that contain "kobo" when they were Calibre tools, or the iPad Kobo app, or CrashReports, or any browser cache page.

Tags
admin account, desktop app, mac, network error