Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Persian
Persian began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch 4G, Samsung Galaxy Apollo
Exclamation problem! massive problem!

hi guys, im kinda new to calibre, and im already a fan

so i love to keep my books organized, and the metadata editor is PERFETCT

its just that when i send all my neatly edited books to my device (AKA aldiko or fbreader on android) all the metadata is gone!!! for example my friend sent me his book, pdf file, it had no cover and the author was matthew (not him). i edited everything in calibre, neatly correcting every single thing. when i sent it to my android device to read later on, the author was again matthew (not the one i have in calibre) and the front cover was gone! some books have this problem and others dont, but most do. what should i do?
thanx in advance

Last edited by Persian; 07-13-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling error
Persian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Writing metadata to PDF files can be problematic and doesn't always work.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Persian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Writing metadata to PDF files can be problematic and doesn't always work.
i converted to EPUB as well, i even rewrote all the metadata afterwards!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
How are you putting the files on the reader? Metadata is only written to the file itself when doing a send to device, save to disk or a few other actions. If your copying the files out of your calibre library manually (not using calibre itself) then you won't have correct metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Persian

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
How are you putting the files on the reader? Metadata is only written to the file itself when doing a send to device, save to disk or a few other actions. If your copying the files out of your calibre library manually (not using calibre itself) then you won't have correct metadata.
yea, thanx for the tips! ok, so i connected with calibre to my device, sending everything to the device using calibre itslef.

ok i just checked, nothings been fixed
some files are ok but the ones that didnt have my metadata before are still not fixed
Old 07-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian View Post
yea, thanx for the tips! ok, so i connected with calibre to my device, sending everything to the device using calibre itslef.

some files are ok but the ones that didnt have my metadata before are still not fixed
when you're connected via usb you can view the books on the device. do that and then delete all the books that you're preparing to transfer from calibre. then go back to the library view in calibre and transfer them.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Persian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
when you're connected via usb you can view the books on the device. do that and then delete all the books that you're preparing to transfer from calibre. then go back to the library view in calibre and transfer them.
no, its still not fixed >_<
i did just like u said
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian View Post

If you sent ePub files using calibre's Send to Device then those ePubs do have the updated metadata. The problem may be that you are not viewing the same files you sent via calibre. Remove the epubs from your device then resend them via calibre.

According to the Android Device interface plugin (preferences - plugins - Device interface plugin) by default the books you send will be placed in the first of the following three directories that it finds.

eBooks/import, wordplayer/calibretransfer, Books

You can customize the plugin and change the directory to one of your choosing.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Persian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you sent ePub files using calibre's Send to Device then those ePubs do have the updated metadata. The problem may be that you are not viewing the same files you sent via calibre. Remove the epubs from your device then resend them via calibre.

According to the Android Device interface plugin (preferences - plugins - Device interface plugin) by default the books you send will be placed in the first of the following three directories that it finds.

eBooks/import, wordplayer/calibretransfer, Books

You can customize the plugin and change the directory to one of your choosing.

Good Luck.
i thought that might happen, i deleted my /books folder on my android and reinstalled the ebook apps on the device making sure the found nothing in their searches. i then did as instructed above. still cant see whats wong

Tags
android, calibre, metadata export