Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #61
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
645 kB - it doesn't seem so much. I tried another epub, no drm, 311 kB - less than 5 seconds to load.
650KB by itself shouldn't take that long, DRM or not, so that leaves what I said; structure.

One other thing I've noticed, ePubs assembled from many linked files seem to take longer to open than epubs built off a single file of the same overall size.

To go deeper than that you'd have to strip off the DRM to see how much faster, if faster at all, it loads. Also DRM-free epubs can be renamed as zips and their structure inspected to see how they're built.

An "interesing" puzzle...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I installed the new firmware. No problems. Since I rarely use adobeviewer (not if I can help it) the new zoom levels don't really do much for me. The only new feature I do use is the double-click keymap option on the power button. Now, I can single-click it for the Last-10-read list, double click to lock (which won't accidentally unlock in my pocket), and long-press to shut down. Great. But in checking the keymapping options, I noticed a new one.

Question: What does profile do? I mapped it and tried using it and it seems to do nothing obvious in the main menu, the bookshelf, or inside FBReader or adobe viewer. Am I missing something?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #63
logan
logan doesn't litterlogan doesn't litter

Device: pocketbook 360
Does somebody know when the corresponding SDK will be released ?
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #64
zilyal
Connoisseur
zilyal began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
Does somebody know when the corresponding SDK will be released ?
Yesterday

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=9
zilyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #65
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Thanks a lot!
A new version of the Bulgarian translation, lots of new strings translated and older refined.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bg.txt (28.9 KB, 1086 views)
mishaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #66
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
15.1 Stability ???
I have had to reset 3-4 times every day
and this evening it was reseting by itself when I pressed wing button forward, reading a borrowed epub (300 pages, 360Kbytes)

I got my PB360 just about 10 days ago, and it is now after I updated to 15.1 yesterday that I have started to switch more between my technical pdf's, that I read in landscape fit-width => 100% and the epubs I borrow, and using more features like searching, adding books to favorites and adding and using bookmarks.

But still I have a feeling that 14.2 was more stable, especially the pdf-viewer.

Has anyone else the same experience?
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've NEVER had to reset my Pocketbook, but there again, I don't read PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Eriksson View Post
and this evening it was reseting by itself when I pressed wing button forward, reading a borrowed epub (300 pages, 360Kbytes)
Oh thank god. I was worried it may be thanks to my "unofficial" firmware upgrade. (Internal memory, no card)

I've redone the update AND reformatted the user memory to rule out odd settings form previous experiments.

Last edited by norciom; 03-17-2010 at 04:15 PM.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #69
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Quote:
15.1 Stability ???

I got my PB360 just about 10 days ago, and it is now after I updated to 15.1 yesterday that I have started to switch more between my technical pdf's, that I read in landscape fit-width => 100% and the epubs I borrow, and using more features like searching, adding books to favorites and adding and using bookmarks.

But still I have a feeling that 14.2 was more stable, especially the pdf-viewer.

Im (nearly) reading only PDF files and never has to reset my 360 or my 302 for that. Im also using diffrent zooms for diffrent pictures and also reading some technical pdfs on it and never had to reset my 360 because of that. Not with the old firmware and even not with the new.

What pdf-version are your pdfs ( not that any pdfversion will like you to reset your 360, but some are more tricky )
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #70
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by norciom View Post
Oh thank god. I was worried it may be thanks to my "unofficial" firmware upgrade. (Internal memory, no card)

I've redone the update AND reformatted the user memory to rule out odd settings form previous experiments.
Yes perhaps I should do that too (I was updating from the internal memory also)

This evening my favorite (for the moment) borrowed book (a swedish sort of a Forest Gump) was reseted twice in reading 20 pages (it happend only when using the wing button forward) ???

The pdf I had problem with alot: http://www.freescale.com/files/micro...ote/AN2295.pdf

A strange thing that I can reproduce 100% is the following use case:
1. open the an2295.pdf in landscape 100% with the buttons below the text.
2. go to page 18 of 52, the second half with a memory map picture.
3. turn off, by long press on on/off button
4. turn on => the picture is not shown correctly I have to go back a page and then move forward again to see it correctly

Do anyone know of if there is any log-file (assert messages) that is created at strange cases (assert cases) that causes reset that the developers can use to track the problem?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #71
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Have you tried it with pdfviewer? I cant try it on my 360, its currently in the hand of a friend.

I would take this go back go forward thin until its fixed or is it that annonying to you ?

Afaik there is no such logfile and i dunno how the reader should notice, that the display is doing something wrong, the hardware will give it right to the output.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #72
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Have you tried it with pdfviewer? I cant try it on my 360, its currently in the hand of a friend.

I would take this go back go forward thin until its fixed or is it that annonying to you ?

Afaik there is no such logfile and i dunno how the reader should notice, that the display is doing something wrong, the hardware will give it right to the output.
I tried the pdfviewer and it is better in the way that it handles the moving forward and backward (half-pages) and "remembers" perfectly the last half page (even if it is a complicated picture) after turning off and on.

But I still prefer the Adobe viewer because of the strange font and spacing that was chosen in the pdfviewer it is really difficult to read (at fit-width, 118%)

And now that I know of this behavior in Adobe viewer I will manage.

Then I am sorry that I was not more specific about the log question.
It had more to do with when my PB360 was reseting by itself, when I just pressed forward, reading a drm borrowed epub, see my posting below.
It actually seemed to reset every 8-9 pages, and at these moments I was just reading about 25-30 pages each evening and had to wait for the startup after each reset and then moving forward searching for the page I was on, that was really annoying.
But then I was reading that post #68 had also problems when updating via the internal memory, so I tried to update via the SD memory and now I have had just 3-4 resets, perhaps I have passed some "difficult" strange epub coded part in the book, but now it hasn't reseted in many pages

So in this context I would like to know if there are any log file/s that are stored (telling last reset reason (for instance normal power-on, watchdog, illegal instruction, or whatever this cpu supports).
As an embedded programmer myself (although not linux) I can recommend following articles about using assert:
http://www.state-machine.com/resources/samek0308.pdf
and
http://embeddedgurus.com/state-space...il-for-a-fuse/

Quote:
15.1 Stability ???

Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #73
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Hello mtravellerh,
I saw in some post that you are working for PocketBook, so I ask you, do the PocketBook developers use some bug-tracking system like Calibre is using with a roadmap feature, so you can see what the next release will target?

The main thing for me is stability, but then I have a small request:
For borrowed books it should show how many days are left, like on the Sony
Kind regards,
Anders
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #74
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Hello mtravellerh,
I saw in some post that you are working for PocketBook, so I ask you, do the PocketBook developers use some bug-tracking system like Calibre is using with a roadmap feature, so you can see what the next release will target?

The main thing for me is stability, but then I have a small request:
For borrowed books it should show how many days are left, like on the Sony
Kind regards,
Anders
No, there is no roadmap feature, sorry.

The Pocketbook firmware is essentially very stable. The resetting problem only has risen it's ugly head with the last firmware version. We are currently trying to find out the exact problem and resolve that problem.

As for the library book feature, please suggest thus feature in the special feature suggestions.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #75
ArchCarrier
ArchCarrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Just for the record, I have already experienced a hangup twice when reading downloaded HTML files (two different ones, normal web pages without scripts or Flash). The first time I could switch off the PB with the power button, but the second time I had to reset it with the Reset button.

I hope this will get fixed soon. In the mean time I'll try to restore the previous firmware.
ArchCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote