Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Converting AZW3 to KFX; any reason not to?

Hi all,

You may have seen my recent thread regarding page breaks and linespacing on the Oasis 2; this is a new thread, as it concerns a slightly different question.

I've decided the best way to achieve my desired outcome is editing the CSS of an AZW3 book. My question is, are there detriments to then converting this AZW3 to KFX to fully utilise the KFX features; or am I better off keeping it as an AZW3?
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Formats forum, where questions about Kindle books, rather than Kindles themselves, belong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Are you using the features of KFX? I'm only asking because I do not and wondering if you're worried about wanting those features in the future.

For me my biggest obsession is getting ragged right margins. With the Kindle I can turn that on in the settings for KFX books. But I also download the books from the web page rather than using the send to thing, and then convert the AZW3 file to EPUB, then convert it back to AZW3, and tell calibre to use ragged right (left) justification and to remove spacing between paragraphs.

Using ragged right margins can give the rendering machine more wiggle when laying out the page without having to use obvious big spaces between words. Which is an issue for me because I need to turn up the size of the text.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #5
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Are you using the features of KFX? I'm only asking because I do not and wondering if you're worried about wanting those features in the future.

For me my biggest obsession is getting ragged right margins. With the Kindle I can turn that on in the settings for KFX books. But I also download the books from the web page rather than using the send to thing, and then convert the AZW3 file to EPUB, then convert it back to AZW3, and tell calibre to use ragged right (left) justification and to remove spacing between paragraphs.

Using ragged right margins can give the rendering machine more wiggle when laying out the page without having to use obvious big spaces between words. Which is an issue for me because I need to turn up the size of the text.
That's an interesting suggestion; I'm with you on the paragraphing, and wanting ragged-right. I'll have a little play around and let you know what I come up.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomifonication View Post
That's an interesting suggestion; I'm with you on the paragraphing, and wanting ragged-right. I'll have a little play around and let you know what I come up.
I replied to your other post. The book isn't broken. The page "bottoms" aren't wrong. That's how they are intended to work. Changing it to KFX isn't going to fix it, because it's not broken. You'll have to restyle the ENTIRE book, change the publisher's settings, and OVERRIDE Amazon's settings, to make it look the way you want.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Tomifonication
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I replied to your other post. The book isn't broken. The page "bottoms" aren't wrong. That's how they are intended to work. Changing it to KFX isn't going to fix it, because it's not broken. You'll have to restyle the ENTIRE book, change the publisher's settings, and OVERRIDE Amazon's settings, to make it look the way you want.

Hitch
I adjusted the paragraphs, and now it looks the way I want.