Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Question KOBO

I heard a rumor that KOBO is getting out of the tablet business..... I can't believe that this is true...however I have noticed that on my original KOBO it will not update android past 4.1.1.

Is there any truth to this? And will KOBO keep updating android? Even on older models? For instance my older phone keeps updating android and is now running 4.4.2, but started with 4.0.

Just curious...
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
it's true as far as i've heard from several places. and not surprising if you've seen how much they've slashed the prices on the Arc 7HD and 10HD over the last few weeks.

they might roll out an update to their own Android firmware/skin for the tablets, but after a while it'll just be left at version 4.x and it'll keep working until it dies.

nothing is stopping you from rooting the thing and installing a custom ROM, though. i still use my old Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.3 and i rolled back my LG Nexus4 to 4.4.4 (i hated Lollipop 5).
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

I don't know how to root my device... are there any guides for it?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
there's not much point in rooting until you have a different ROM / firmware to put on it. if you like how the Arc is behaving, leave it alone and let it be. i haven't bothered to root my Arc HDs cuz they're fine and i kind of like the kobo skinned android they're running. i only rooted my nexus phones to roll back firmware (and nexus devices are the easiest to root by nature)

if you want to learn just for the learning of it, a quick google search of "how to root ___" should land you a few results. XDA forums will likely pop up as one of the results.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
cyndersk
Enthusiast

Okay, thanks!
Advert