Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
frangapanni
frangapanni began at the beginning.

Device: none
which one? Im in Australia.

been looking and researching for a while, and looking at getting one for christmas.

I love reading books and study exeternally, and have been scanning and pdf the books.

So I want something that will allow me to read the books and have a wide range of choice of places to get books from.

Intially I was leaning towards a kindle, but know I'm not sure after reading about the lack of availability of books in oz.

What would you recommend?
frangapanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You taken a look at the Australia-released 'Kogan', Frangapanni? A friend of mine in Oz got one recently and is very happy with it. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
Hi frangapanni. I am in Australia too and a new user of the Kindle. I also have an IPad too, for the books that the Kindle can't do though so far I haven't strayed from Amazon. I am very happy with the Kindle and bore everyone to death at work singing its praises. I find Amazon easily fulfils my needs for purchasing books but then I am a long-time Amazon customer and have bought their books for years despite the killer delivery charges. I find it annoying when some books are geographically restricted but, from my research, the same ebooks are not available at Borders or Angus & Robertson either. My son also has a Kindle. He is more adventurous than I am and has sought out the books on Baen Books and downloaded Calibre. A work colleague has a Sony. It is a lovely e-reader too, though more expensive than the Kindle. She can buy books at Borders or Angus & Roberson. They have recently dropped their prices on some of their books so they are more or less at Amazon prices now.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Another very happy Aussie Kindle owner here too, i may be wrong but i think you will face geographical restrictions on most of the major book sites unfortunately.

The newly released Kogan supports a great range of books, but there isn't much about yet in the way of reviews, i found THIS one

Last edited by Jcas; 11-13-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
You taken a look at the Australia-released 'Kogan', Frangapanni? A friend of mine in Oz got one recently and is very happy with it. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
I've just sold mine for AUD100 to a friend...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Go for the Kindle... It'll be posted and received by you in a flash... The customer service is great, and you don't have to go to Amazon to buy books, you can get books for your kindle everywhere.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
There's a discussion on the Kogan on Whirlpool. From a quick skim of the last pages, the owners do not seem too impressed.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I was asked by a friend what ereader he should get for his wife. Though I am happy with my Kobo and PRS-300, I recommended the Kindle. Purely for ease of use.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Alison C
Enthusiast
Alison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toysAlison C shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite wifi
Hello, frangapanni. Just to let you know that if you want a Kindle for Christmas, you might want to get your order in soon. I ordered mine this morning, after getting lots of help from experts here, and the delivery estimate is between 8 and 21 December. Mine is a Christmas present (to me!), and there will be sulks in this house if it's not here in time!

Regards

Alison
Alison C is offline   Reply With Quote