Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Kindle/Nook

I purchased the Kindle over the weekend. It really wasn't a choice of which one to get, as far as I was concerned. I had used the Kindle before there was even a Nook. I did go to B&N over the weekend and found the Nook confusing and slow.

I paid for my first e-book on the kindle. After spending $10 on the book, I realized I probably wouldn't buy/read the book again. As I did more research, I discovered that my library has a very good e-book collection and the Nook works with my library's e-books as well as B&N's books.

Tonight, I went and bought the Nook. I still have the Kindle and will end up returning one of those two.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
sludge37
sludge37 began at the beginning.

Device: none
So far, in the few hours you've had both, how do they compare for you?
sludge37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Well, if you only intend to read library ebooks and not buy any, the Nook really would be better for you since the Kindle doesn't read them at all.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the Kindle. I'm not sure if it's just because I've used the Kindle before and am more familiar with it. Before the Kindle 3 and the iPad, I owned the Kindle 2 for a year. I've never had the Nook until last night.

As arcadata said, I'm hoping not to buy any books. I don't sit around and re-read books and would rather just read free (Nook) books or library books.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would check out your local library or the Philadelphia library (that is the one that you can join for $15 a year) to see if they carry the books that you are interested in reading.

If you are going to be using the library then the Nook is the way to go. You could check out the Kobo but I have a feeling you will prefer the Nook. Best Buy sells the Nook and the Sony's. The new Sony's are suppose to be very nice but they are pricey.

Amazon has free books as well.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what I would do since you just got the nook, it sit down and really familiarize youself with it. Get to know it's response and it's flow.

I found this to be a common theme among alot of people. At first they find it a little slow and such but once they get the hang of it and such and get the flow down they end up loving it.

It is a great device and the whole library thing just rocks
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
techiegirl
Groupie

I've had a chance to use the Nook some more and find myself liking it more and more each day. I discovered the swipe feature to change pages. That's real cool. I also find the text on the Nook easier on the eye than the Kindle. One thing about the Nook I'm not too happy with (I think it was mentioned in another thread) is the glare when you have a clip on light. It's not something I can't live with, considering all the advantages.

Meanwhile, I have 4 books downloaded from the library.

ProfCrash: I went to the Philadelphia library website and noticed they use overdrive. My library uses overdrive as well. Would you know if the 2 libraries have the same ebooks if they're all on overdrive? Just curious.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not used Overdrive, I have a Kindle. I would go online and compare the e-book catalog with your library and with Overdrive. See if your library has the books that you want. If it doesn't look at paying the out of area fee and join the other library
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have not used Overdrive, I have a Kindle. I would go online and compare the e-book catalog with your library and with Overdrive. See if your library has the books that you want. If it doesn't look at paying the out of area fee and join the other library
Most libraries use Overdrive now, but the selection at each library depends on budget, and tastes of the particular librarian.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have both the Kindle3 & The NOOK. I actually enjoy the features of the NOOK more, but can't really complain about the Kindle. I use both all the time. I have certain types of books on my Kindle & certain types on my NOOK.

What kind of light do you use on your NOOK? I use the Kandle & haven't noticed a lot of glare.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote