Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle user plays with a Kobo

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle the latest generation of Kobo reader.

I've owned a Kindle 3G+WiFi for about six weeks now.
My spouse used to own a Sony reader and now has an iPad so that's the lens through which I view other readers.

My first impression was that the Kobo reader felt "cheap".

The case seemed chunky for the weight of the device making it feel like there was a lot of hollow space inside. The plastic itself didn't inspire confidence; it seemed brittle.

The thickness of the bezel next to the screen seemed greater than that of the Kindle which distracted me from the text on the screen.

Edges on the Kobo were sharp, not to the extent as to cut anything but lacking a nice bevel like those on the Kindle and iPad.

The interface on the Kobo seems crude in comparison to the Kindle.
Response time to button presses was slow, likewise page turns.
Accessing certain functions such as disabling wireless was cumbersome, requiring too many key presses.

If I'd posted this in the Kindle section, I'd have been preaching to the choir; in the Kobo section, raining on the parade or poking the bear.

If anyone's on the fence, don't hesitate: get the K3 or some other device over the Kobo, if device quality and functionality are important to you.

Yes, the Kobo reader displays .EPUB files natively. If that means anything to you, look for another reader that does or live with converting .EPUB to .MOBI files for a Kindle.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I had a similar feeling about the Kobo. While the new generation looks nicer than the old ones, they still have that "cheap toy" look and feel to them, IMO.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Thanks for an interesting post ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle the latest generation of Kobo reader.

My spouse used to own a Sony reader and now has an iPad so that's the lens through which I view other readers.

The case seemed chunky for the weight of the device making it feel like there was a lot of hollow space inside. The plastic itself didn't inspire confidence; it seemed brittle.

The thickness of the bezel next to the screen seemed greater than that of the Kindle which distracted me from the text on the screen.

Edges on the Kobo were sharp, not to the extent as to cut anything but lacking a nice bevel like those on the Kindle and iPad.

The interface on the Kobo seems crude in comparison to the Kindle.
Response time to button presses was slow, likewise page turns.
Accessing certain functions such as disabling wireless was cumbersome, requiring too many key presses.

If I'd posted this in the Kindle section, I'd have been preaching to the choir; in the Kobo section, raining on the parade or poking the bear.

If anyone's on the fence, don't hesitate: get the K3 or some other device over the Kobo, if device quality and functionality are important to you.

Yes, the Kobo reader displays .EPUB files natively. If that means anything to you, look for another reader that does or live with converting .EPUB to .MOBI files for a Kindle.
I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder. When i was going back and forth between the Kindle and the Nook, I felt navigating throughth the user interface on the Kindle felt crude and outdated as compared to the nook.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
mikesgold123
mikesgold123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle wireless device
I like the Kindle better than the Nook, I have yet to see the Kobo
mikesgold123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have read over 30 books now on my Kobo and although not as nice as my PRS-300, I find it a great ereader. It does what it does and that is allow you to read ebooks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder. When i was going back and forth between the Kindle and the Nook, I felt navigating throughth the user interface on the Kindle felt crude and outdated as compared to the nook.
The Nook's UI is fine. It's the slow response to input in the soft keypad that kills me. Navigating with dpad is a big chore. Hopefully the newest software update speeds things up a bit.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I think we have firmly established that everything is in the eye of the beholder.

That is because you like a touch screen. I liked the rollerball on the K1. I kind of miss having the little window on the right hand side of my Kindle with the silver box that glittered...

I like my joystick on the Kindle and really appreciate the keyboard. I am doing my best to avoid buying a K3. I don't need one. I like my DXG and it is fine for travel. But I really, kind of like the idea of a K3 for travel. But I don't travel that much.

uggghh
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
The Nook's UI is fine. It's the slow response to input in the soft keypad that kills me. Navigating with dpad is a big chore. Hopefully the newest software update speeds things up a bit.
To be clear: I can't buy a Nook in Canada but I suspect they're wonderful to use.

My observations were specifically related to the latest generation Kobo versus Kindle.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
To be clear: I can't buy a Nook in Canada but I suspect they're wonderful to use.

My observations were specifically related to the latest generation Kobo versus Kindle.
Because of the price I was seriously considering the Kobo. Then right around the time I was going to buy an e-reader both B&N and Amazon dropped their prices. The Kobo didn't seem as much of a deal.

I'm very happy with the Kindle in particular.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

[snip]
I handled a Kobo in the local Borders, and had the exact same impressions you did. That's why I went to Sears and bought the Sony PRS-300 on sale for $20 less than Borders was selling the Kobo. The Sony is a more solid device all around.

Kobo on paper looks great, and if they stick with it, they will be a good low-end player. But IMHO they need a few more product revisions.
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And they need to drop the price. Right now it is more expensive then the Kindle Wifi
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
Traecer Prime
Connoisseur
Traecer Prime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
And they need to drop the price. Right now it is more expensive then the Kindle Wifi
Agreed! Kindle has the build quality, name recognition, and Amazon's clout in the publishing industry. Kobo can't compete with all that at a higher price!
Traecer Prime is offline   Reply With Quote