Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What Does $500 Get You?

You're in the market for a device(s) to read books, magazines, newspapers, etc. What do you get?
  • Apple iPad 16GB WF = $500
  • Samsung Galaxy WF = $500
  • Nook Color = $250
  • Kindle 3 WF = $140
  • Kobo 1 Gen = $100 ... $490 for all 3 readers
Hmmm...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
If those were my only options...I would try out the Nook Color since its really an Android tablet with e-reader capabilities. I wouldn't even consider the Kobo. The Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy are far too expensive to be used just as e-readers, imho. If you need email, fast surfing, color lcd screen, etc., they might be viable choices. For me, i just wanted a simple e-reader for just reading.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
If those were my only options...I would try out the Nook Color since its really an Android tablet with e-reader capabilities. I wouldn't even consider the Kobo. The Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy are far too expensive to be used just as e-readers, imho. If you need email, fast surfing, color lcd screen, etc., they might be viable choices. For me, i just wanted a simple e-reader for just reading.
Sample options. Feel free to come up with other combinations. There are quite a few out there.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sample options. Feel free to come up with other combinations. There are quite a few out there.
My combination:

Nook Color 250
Sony PRS 650 230
Total 480

I just ordered the 650, so I'll have half of the combination
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
My combination:

Nook Color 250
Sony PRS 650 230
Total 480

I just ordered the 650, so I'll have half of the combination
An excellent combination.
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
An excellent combination.
I was thinking the same thing!
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You forgot the DXG.

Which I have and would get before any of the other options.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You forgot the DXG.

Which I have and would get before any of the other options.
I forgot a lot of readers. There are too many combinations out there. Since each of us have different tastes and needs, the combinations will be quite varied.

I picked $500, because that's the cost of an overpriced tablet these days.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I prefer not to go after this from a price point of view initially, but from the viewpoint of what you are looking to do. Perhaps you can give us some more insight?

For example, lets look at reading news/magazines. Many people are quite happy using their e-ink systems. If you are a 'just the fact' kind of person this would fit you quite well. However, if you want the feel of a multimedia magazine with glossy color pictures and video added in, then you are clearly going to want iPad style apps or at least a system that supports color, a web browser, and either/or html5/flash.

Without more detail, you will here what each of us like for ourselves (for me its Kindle for text/fiction and iPad for pdfs/media), and not what will work for you.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Without more detail, you will here what each of us like for ourselves (for me its Kindle for text/fiction and iPad for pdfs/media), and not what will work for you.
That's the idea. I know what I want.

Just saying that for the price of an iPad or Galaxy Tab, you can get a Nook Color plus one or two eInk readers.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
You don't necessarily have to spend it all on devices....

Nook WiFi $149 (already have the first gen)
24 months of a Baen Webscription $360

Slightly over the budget (but you could adjust the content a little bit).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
That's the idea. I know what I want.

Just saying that for the price of an iPad or Galaxy Tab, you can get a Nook Color plus one or two eInk readers.
Sorry about that? Given the forum, I thought you were asking not observing.

It is a good thought. From my point of view, however, there were things that I got in the iPad that made it worth the price. OTOH, I have a Kindle also and still use it for reading fiction.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Sorry about that? Given the forum, I thought you were asking not observing.

It is a good thought. From my point of view, however, there were things that I got in the iPad that made it worth the price. OTOH, I have a Kindle also and still use it for reading fiction.

MLH
Not a problem. I intend to get both - Nook Color and an eInk device of some sort.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
pinnacle
pinnacle began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS 950, KFire (preordered)
I purchased for myself an Amazon 3G for $189 and the Sony PRS-950 for $299. The Sony PRS-950 has similar dimensions to the Amazon but with a 7" screen.

For just reading NY Times bestsellers I have the Kindle. For PDFs and epub books from other sources I have the Sony.
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Pocketbook IQ costs $140, so you can comfortably buy 3 and maybe some accessories
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote