Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Betwixt and befuzzled

I've been happily using ereaders since the Rocket eBook in 1999, and have been delighted with my Sony readers since the first 500. I've been using the 505 for several years now ( I returned the 700 because of the poor screen contrast) but have supplemented it with my iPad in the last 6 months.

I find, with the iPad, I've come to appreciate the ease of purchasing books and having them directly downloaded for reading - primarily using the Kindle app, but also Kobo from time to time. I would however prefer to read on an eink screen if possible, and would love a reader slightly more compact than the 505.

I like the size, resolution and hand feelnof the Prs350, the online content availability of the kindle, and the epub standardization of Sony and kobo readers.

I don't like the hand feel of the kobo - it feels cheap and the page turn button is not ideal since I prefer to read holding and using the book only with my left hand, preferably grasping the lower corner of the book.

Ideally I'd like a wifi version of the 350, with a better Sony bookstore, but I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and look at getting the new wifi kindle.

How is the Kindle for reading with one hand? Is it easy to turn the pages? I prefer a page turn button rather than some touch screen swipe gesture which a) doesn't always work for me and b) can be tricky to do with just the one hand?

The other thing I'm concerned about is the size. Granted I haven't seen any of the new kindles yet, but the older kindles just seemed huge, with all that keyboard space.

Any thoughts, hints or suggestions appreciated.

Mike
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
robtillotson
robtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
How is the Kindle for reading with one hand? Is it easy to turn the pages? I prefer a page turn button rather than some touch screen swipe gesture which a) doesn't always work for me and b) can be tricky to do with just the one hand?
The new Kindle 3 works well for reading with one hand. (I didn't have a K2 so I don't know how it compares though.) If you hold it by the bottom corner your thumb should land right on the page-forward button.

Quote:
The other thing I'm concerned about is the size. Granted I haven't seen any of the new kindles yet, but the older kindles just seemed huge, with all that keyboard space.
The new one is a bit smaller in each dimension than the previous generation; the whole thing including keyboard is less than 8 inches tall, so it's not really any worse in that respect than most other readers that have controls at the bottom. After using a K1 and then a nook, the K3 feels amazingly small and light by comparison... of course the 5" readers like the PRS350 are smaller yet, but you are also sacrificing display size there too.

--Rob
robtillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
barcode015
barcode015 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3/Kobo WiFi
If you are concerned about size, the new Kindle is about the same size as the Kobo, just slightly larger. In fact it fits in the neoprene case for the Kobo I am trying out at the moment.

I am comfortable changing pages using either hand with the Kindle 3. It's an enjoyable device to use.
barcode015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
How is the Kindle for reading with one hand? Is it easy to turn the pages?
The other thing I'm concerned about is the size. ...
I find my K3 easy to hold with one hand and the page change buttons are easy to use even when holding the K3 one-handed. I use mine naked as I don't like the added bulk and holding restrictions presented by the usual covers.

As to size, the K3 is exactly the same height as a standard DVD case, slightly narrower, and about 1/2 as thick.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, here is a page with all the details.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...sa_menu_kdp3w3

If you watch the second video, it clearly shows the lady reading with one hand......and much more info.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-28-2010 at 09:00 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Kindle 3 with 3G. It would have been nice if Sony could have come out with a wireless model (even just wifi) but I guess you can't always have everything.

Now, if kindle would just embrace EPUB, I'd be the happiest geek on the planet.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
If you get Calibre and learn how to strip DRM from ePubs, you will be

Quote:
Now, if kindle would just embrace EPUB, I'd be the happiest geek on the planet.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote