Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
any suggestions will be appreciated

I am looking for an ereader for PDF documents (scientific papers). I don't need any network (no WiFi no 3G) because I don't need network to download files. But I do need PDF annotations and note-taking function (hanwriting). Any advice? I prefer large screen (10") readers. Thank you.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, PJ. It seems to me that a tablet might be the best option for you. But I'm sure you'll soon have advice here from members who have experience of a wider range of devices that I do. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
1- PDf is a format that really only performs well on full computers and paper; it is not an ebook format but a digital paper/digital microfiche format. Using PDF on an ereader negates a good portion of the value of a good reader; the ability to control the display yourself.

2- ebook readers are *not* computers, PDAs, or media pads. They are content consumption devices. Even when equipped with touch screens or pen digitizers they do not offer the functionality of even the cheapest Tablet PC or even an iPad.

3- That said, if you understand those limitations and still want to use an ebook reader for reading PDFs, your 10in choices are effectively two: Kindle DXG and Pocketbook 902/903. Several others have been announced but those two are actually available for purchasing. Prices for both brands are comparable and they are clearly defined:
-Kindle offers access to the Amazon ebookstore, a vestigial keyboard, and the highest contrast screen shipping.
-Pocketbook offers Adobe Adept DRM support on ePUB and PDF, the choice of 3G or not and the option of a digitizer pen or not, plus broad format support and a more flexible and customizable user experience.

If all you want to do with PDFs is "print" them to a screen, either line will do a decent job but do not expect the bells and whistles you'd get on a tablet PC. In the next 6 months there should be dozens of Win7 tablets (based on both Atom and Core cpus) starting right around the PB903 price so going with a large format eink device has to be because you *really* need the weeks of battery life, outdoor readability, or eink tech.

Otherwise, a Tablet or netbook is a better tool for academic PDFs.

There's a lot of good reasons to get large-format eink readers but PDFs are not the best.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Neil and Fjtorres: thank you for the help. your answers are really helpful. I am now thinking of buying a tablet.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote