Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
DeFunes43
DeFunes43 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader. Don't really know what size.
Screen size, for a Sony device.

Hello world.

Xmas is getting quite close, and I decided to buy an e-reader.
I'm French, ans as you know, we don't have a Kindle Store. So i focused on Sony Readers, available in France, and which look quite good.

My main problem now is to choose screen size. From what I can see, all other devices are 6'' wide. What are the pros and cons of both 5 and 7 inches screen?

Is a 5'' screen wide enough? (Cause, if i could, I'd like to save money )

Thank you in advance for your help, and have a good Sunday!
If you don't understand me, say it, I know my English is quite lame
DeFunes43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
The two modern Sony readers are the PRS-350 (5") and PRS-650 (6").

I use a 6" screen and I'm not sure I would want to go smaller. The 350 looks really nice and if I plan to upgrade from my 505 I will go look at both and see myself. The 350's price certainly is nice and using the small font a 5" screen would probably be fine.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
DeFunes43

What about the PRS-950?
I thought it was released this days, isn't it?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The size is a diagonal measurement, e.g. 5" diagonal is 3" wide by 4" high.

Since ebooks are viewed in a reflowable format (e.g. like a web page, where you can make text larger or smaller), the difference between 5" and 6" is how much text can be displayed per page at a font size you are comfortable with. If you use a large font size you might have to use the 5" in landscape mode to get enough text per line but in general either screen size is OK for reading. With the 5" you will turn pages more often (less text per page) than with the 6".

The 7" is the same width as the 6", so the 7" gives you more lines per page in portrait orientation. In landscape, the 7" in principle can display PDFs with more magnification than the 6". I don't know if Sony's PDF handling is good enough to take full advantage of this, but 7" is definitely better for PDFs when viewed by magnifying the original page layout (rather than reflow, i.e. converting to text and images, which the Sony's also support for some PDFs).

Make sure you are buying the new 350/650/950, because they are much better than the older 300/600.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
In my experience, DeFunes, the difference betwen 5" and 6" makes so little difference that it doesn't matter. As Wallcraft says, what's important is the font size that's comofrortable on your eyes more than the actual number of words presented per screen-page. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
DeFunes43

Ok, thank you all for your answers.
A question about shops now, cause I think i'm gonna buy to a US online store. Indeed current $/€ rates makes readers very cheap.
Is adorama.com a good, reliable one?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
remember import duty ?
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
DeFunes43

I guess it is taken in account in the delivery fees isn't it? The website says $44, is it realistic?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFunes43 View Post
I guess it is taken in account in the delivery fees isn't it? The website says $44, is it realistic?
No, it is normally only the delivery charges. You would have to pay customs duty seperately when you receive the product. This is charged by your country.

Here there are many customers with positive feedback for both Adorama and B&H. Also check B&H photo video, as they have very good deals for sony reader for the next two weeks.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
DeFunes43

If I have to pay VAT in France, I guess a better choice will be to order to the French Sony store. Moreover, it partially solves my problem since prs-950 isn't available in France yet.

Thank you all.