Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
nesseainie
nesseainie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Memory is Key, which Ereader is better

I have had my Sony 600 for a year. I Loved it, but I have a ton of ebooks, and use my ereader as a library, since I like to re-read books. The Sony 600 had limited internal memory capasity took forever to read books from the SD card. It froze constantly and I have replaced the SD card 3 times, and the ereader once, because it stoped being able to read the SD Card.

Now, I am looking for a well priced ereader that has at least 2 gb of internal memory and can read Epub files. Wifi is important, but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions?
nesseainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Nook.

10 characters
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The new PocketBook Pro 602 has 2 GB of internal memory and WiFi. It also uses folders, which makes it easier to manage a large number of ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Nook.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the nook's library system crash if you have more than about 1200 books installed on the device? Do you really think, therefore, that it's a good recommendation for a person who wants to maintain a large library on the device?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
nesseainie
nesseainie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the nook's library system crash if you have more than about 1200 books installed on the device? Do you really think, therefore, that it's a good recommendation for a person who wants to maintain a large library on the device?
I have never heard about the Nook system crashing because of the number of books in your library. Do you have any more information on that. I have over 1200 so if this hasn't been resolved the Nook could no longer be an option.

The pocketbook pro 602 looks like a good option. problem is I have been spoiled by my Sony 600 with the touch screen. even though it is currently running slow as hell, the idea of leaving touch screen behind for buttons is not appealing. the Pocketbook Pro 603 sounds nice, but there is no date for shipping as far as I can see. I am trying to make this my families "group" Christmas present to me.

Any other suggestions?
nesseainie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesseainie View Post
I have never heard about the Nook system crashing because of the number of books in your library. Do you have any more information on that. I have over 1200 so if this hasn't been resolved the Nook could no longer be an option.
See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=76
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The Sony 650 has two GB of internal memory, mostly keeps the 600 user interface, has a gorgeous clear screen, and is reported to have solved the problems with crashing under large libraries. The first time it's asked to look at a lot of books, it takes a long time indexing the books. After that, it performs properly. I only have a few hundred on mine. I put it to work while I ate lunch and washed dishes. I've added a few books here and there since and it's had no problems or delays in dealing with them. Someone on the Sony forum probably has a larger library and could give you more details.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But wasnt that thread about storage with a 32gb sd card tbat was causing the issues? Another poster chimed in and said music stored on a 16g card worked just fine and the op said he stood corrected.
i concur with the other poster thenook is a solidchoice. My wife has 1100titles and no issues
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote