Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
jrabbit
jrabbit doesn't litterjrabbit doesn't litter

Device: none
eReader for a tween living on the road

We are planning to live in an RV soon, and one of the biggest concerns we have right now is how to address the almost-11-year-old-daughter's voracious appetite for books. We go to the library at least once a week, checking out dozens of books at one time. She reads all the time!

We are not particularly interested in buying ebooks (that would be ridiculously expensive, even if they were $1 each).

Mainly, we would like to try to use free books and library. I have read in two separate places that the New York Library offers library privileges for $100, but I can't find that on their website. The Houston Library (where we currently live, so we have privileges there, at least) has ebooks, but I'm really frustrated with their search engine, and I'm not having any luck finding books that will appeal to her.

So, my question is two-fold: NYL says specifically that their ebooks are not compatible with kindle ... so which other ereader is our best bet? (We may eventually get an Ipad, but not at this point.)

And, how & where can we access teen-fiction for free?!

thanks!
--janis
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Does your library lend ereaders? I've read that some might.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you are looking for the widest possible compatibility with different formats then look no further than a jet book. It sounds like to me that the Jet Book is what you need since it will maximize the probability that your reader will be comaptible with the formats the library provides.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome to MR jrabbit!

Take a look at the Philadelphia library which costs $15 per year.

I am very pleased with my jetBook Lite. It is inexpensive, and I wouldn't want to spend too much for an 11 year old. It is currently $99 with a free leather case at newegg.com.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
philhyde
philhyde doesn't litterphilhyde doesn't litter

Question

Hi everyone. I am the husband to the above mentioned crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Take a look at the Philadelphia library which costs $15 per year.
Does the Philadelphia library (and others) allow registration and lending for non-residents?

While we primarily intend to take advantage of book lending, we don't want to rule out the possibility of having family "gift" books as presents. We may not buy a lot of books, but I'd like the option to buy current titles.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by philhyde; 11-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
philhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Both the Sony and the Nook allow library lending and have their own stores, as well you can buy from other sites that sell DRM free books in ePub format, and probably pdf too. As Sony just released their new models, you might be able to find last year's non-touch, pocket model PRS-300 for a fairly good price in clearance sections. Otherwise any of the current readers from those two companies will probably serve you well in the US.

I haven't bought my new reader yet, so I'm not speaking from the perspective of someone who owns one, but I am someone who makes weekly visits to my own public library. So I'm also looking for a library compatible reader. I'll probably pickup the new Sony PRS-650 myself.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The childrens' book market really isn't very well developed for ebooks. Primarily, I guess, because ebook readers really aren't targeted at children.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
jrabbit
jrabbit doesn't litterjrabbit doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The childrens' book market really isn't very well developed for ebooks. Primarily, I guess, because ebook readers really aren't targeted at children.
thanks, that makes sense. She's reading juvenile fiction, not really "children's" books ... but I hope that in the coming year, she's going to be more into more mature literature.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Hi, just to chime in.

Most dedicated readers sold today, except the Kindle, support Adobe Digital Editions Adept ePub format which is the most common choice for libraries (Though some libraries still have mobi collections; but no dedicated reader can technically read DRM'd versions of both formats).

With that in mind, of the major vendors:

The original Kobo is probably the cheapest eInk reader that is still technically current (Though as others said, you can still find Sony PRS-300's out there). Its not a perfect reader but perfectly serviceable. Kobo is supported by Borders.

The Wireless Kobo is a step up and at $139 is the cheapest eInk reader in America with wireless that supports wireless.

Barnes and Noble's Nook at $149 is a nice step up from the Kobos (generally). Though it has a much shorter battery life.

The Sony readers. These are nice, have wonderful touch screens, and though they lack wireless, they might well provide the nicest reading experience bar none. Unfortunately, the cheapest is also $179.

Now there are are other brands, but these are the major vendors.

As for books, unless your daughter is allergic to older books, lets not forget that there are thousands of books in the Public Domain. A quick search of manybooks.net shows over 2000 books are categorized as younger reader books. All available for free.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
Free Library of Philadelphia

Check out this thread on the Free Library of Philadelphia (out of town or country is $15)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...catalog&page=4

post number 50 has a link to the catalog so you could check if there are books of interest

there is lots of other good info in this thread - how to get your library books on your nook for instance.

Another thing to consider is internet service or wifi compatibility. and access to a computer.

I love my nook 3G. I can download a book from B&N in the middle of the night in the woods. And they do have free public domain books as well as freebie Fridays etc.

Last edited by nkd431; 11-10-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: addition
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I wonder with the potential for family "gifting" her with ebooks from various sources, if one of the Android tablets might be a better choice? (I'm assuming "gifting" doesn't mean pirating, and the book might have DRM).

The ability to have all the various sites' "apps" would mean your 11 year old wouldn't have to learn to become a hacker to read her book, regardless of the source!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Just a thought - now that Sony has come out with a new line of e-readers, you might luck out at a local Target trying to get rid of older models on clearance. I remember seeing people mention that they picked up the Sony PRS-300 for $40.

An e-book reader will make a wonderful gift for your daughter, I'm sure that she will love and appreciate the effort that you are making to help her satisfy her reading habits. Kudos to the both of you!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
nkd431
Enthusiast
nkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animalsnkd431 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Nokia N810, Nook 3G, Nook Color, Nook HD+
And B&N gift cards work online. How I budget my book buying is I reload my gift card with $20 and that is how I pay for my nook books. Nice learning experience in budgeting.
nkd431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
philhyde
philhyde doesn't litterphilhyde doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I wonder with the potential for family "gifting" her with ebooks from various sources, if one of the Android tablets might be a better choice? (I'm assuming "gifting" doesn't mean pirating, and the book might have DRM).
Yeah, I just meant that grandma can give her a B&N giftcard, or whatever specific store her device supports. I expect the gifter would ask.
philhyde is offline   Reply With Quote