Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
An odd comparison (two very different devices).

Hi everyone!

I (luckily) came across this site while searching for information that would help me with my eReader purchase. I live in Australia and I don't really think the Kindle is my cup of tea since I already have a large collection of classic epubs and converted PDF's. My main choice is betweeen the Sony PRS-650 and the Telstra T-Touch Tab (aka Huawei S7). I realise that they are completely different devices, but they are exactly the same price. I'm really only interested in the devices as eReaders. Android on the S7 is just a bonus (I already have an Xperia X10). Recommendations?

Thanks!
Noobien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I would think that this choice really comes down to whether or not you want an e-ink screen. The Sony screen is fantastic. Have you looked at an e-ink screen in person? I think you will know right away whether or not it's for you. If you are not bothered by reading for a long sustained time on your computer or phone, then by all means get the tablet.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Righto, I went down to the Telstra shop today to look at the tablet. It felt sturdy, the touchscreen was very unresponsive and it was a bit slow overall, but I thought that it didn't matter since I was only going to use it as an eReader. I then went to Borders and saw the eInk screen personally for the first time...whoa it was absolutely fantastic! Will definitely be getting the PRS-650. One thing though, I thought the text overlap in landscape mode was a bit silly. Is there any way to get rid of it?
Noobien is offline   Reply With Quote