Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
amank41092
Junior Member
amank41092 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi, India
Device: none
Getting started with calibre development.

Hi,

I'm new to calibre and would like to start contributing. I have read the calibre developers manual, downloaded the source and setup my development environment.
I looked over the bugs but could not decide which might be a good bug to get started, or even some other point to get started.
Can someone please guide me along ?

Thanks,
Aman Kaushik
amank41092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 13,367
Karma: 10793754
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by amank41092 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to calibre and would like to start contributing. I have read the calibre developers manual, downloaded the source and setup my development environment.
I looked over the bugs but could not decide which might be a good bug to get started, or even some other point to get started.
Can someone please guide me along ?

Thanks,
Aman Kaushik
@Aman - first up,

Another possibility is plugin development

There are a number of PI's written by kiwidude. He is currently unavailable to spend time maintaining/enhancing them them due other commitments. Some of them have outstanding 'issues' and enhancement requests - Find Duplicates & Modify come to mind, and I'd like View Manager to have an option to integrate with Virtual Libraries.

That could be another starting point, there's also a Wish list in the Plug ins sub forum - its a sticky.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Xenon-ud
Junior Member
Xenon-ud began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Aman - first up,

Another possibility is plugin development

There are a number of PI's written by kiwidude. He is currently unavailable to spend time maintaining/enhancing them them due other commitments. Some of them have outstanding 'issues' and enhancement requests - Find Duplicates & Modify come to mind, and I'd like View Manager to have an option to integrate with Virtual Libraries.

That could be another starting point, there's also a Wish list in the Plug ins sub forum - its a sticky.

BR
Phew... At last some guidance!
I too am new here and I am frankly astounded by how large Calibre is!

I will definitely look into the Wish List section. Any other ways that I could contribute more to Calibre?

Also about helping in debugging, how exactly does that work? I saw that when bug reports came in they were assigned to some specific developers. Does only a small group of developers manage bugs or can anybody contribute?
Xenon-ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 13,367
Karma: 10793754
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon-ud View Post
Phew... At last some guidance!
I too am new here and I am frankly astounded by how large Calibre is!

I will definitely look into the Wish List section. Any other ways that I could contribute more to Calibre?

Also about helping in debugging, how exactly does that work? I saw that when bug reports came in they were assigned to some specific developers. Does only a small group of developers manage bugs or can anybody contribute?
@Xenon-ud - Whaddya mean, "At last some guidance!" you only got on the bus yesterday Anyway

I'll let Kovid Goyal answer your questions about bug management etc. But his comments in this thread Helping to Develop Calibre Core Software may be of interest. Kovid is the calibre king

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Xenon-ud
Junior Member
Xenon-ud began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Xenon-ud - Whaddya mean, "At last some guidance!" you only got on the bus yesterday Anyway

I'll let Kovid Goyal answer your questions about bug management etc. But his comments in this thread Helping to Develop Calibre Core Software may be of interest. Kovid is the calibre king

BR

Hey!
The fact that I made an account on this site yesterday doesn't mean that I have not been searching for a place to start for some time!

The Wish List has some interesting ideas.

Earlier I had a plan to develop a Windows 8 app for Calibre but I just saw that somebody was already working on it. Will talk to that guy to ask if he needs any help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195616

But after reading his conversation with Kovid, it doesn't seem so.

Just gotta keep exploring I guess, until I find something I would like to do. Atleast Kovid agrees with my approach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
My philosophy is, if there is something you *personally* want calibre to do, write the code for it.

That way, there is a much higher chance that you will stick around to maintain that code in the future. Otherwise, I will have to take over maintenance of it, and I hate maintaining other people's code
Xenon-ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kovidgoyal's Avatar
 
Posts: 34,434
Karma: 10323934
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai, India
Device: Various
@Xenon-ud: My philosophy for development is simple. I like people to scratch their own itches. So if you have something that you want calibre to do, personally, go ahead and write the code for it. That way there is a greater chance that you will stick around to maintain that code in the future

If it is something large/invasive, it is best to discuss it here first.

As for bug reports, I tend to fix almost all simple bugs in the weekly release cycle, so bug reports are not a good place to get started.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:13 AM   #7
amank41092
Junior Member
amank41092 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi, India
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Aman - first up,

Another possibility is plugin development

There are a number of PI's written by kiwidude. He is currently unavailable to spend time maintaining/enhancing them them due other commitments. Some of them have outstanding 'issues' and enhancement requests - Find Duplicates & Modify come to mind, and I'd like View Manager to have an option to integrate with Virtual Libraries.

That could be another starting point, there's also a Wish list in the Plug ins sub forum - its a sticky.

BR
Thank You ! BetterRed
I'll try that.
amank41092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 13,367
Karma: 10793754
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by amank41092 View Post
Thank You ! BetterRed
I'll try that.
That's great - just ask questions in here

If you are willing to do a bit of work in kiwidude's PI's then you should send him a PM.

Thanks BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 8 Calibre Viewer develoment started timdams Development 13 04-22-2014 10:23 PM
Getting Started with Embedded Development knc1 Kindle Developer's Corner 3 09-18-2012 07:58 AM
[Android App] getting started with Calibre Companion BeccaPrice Devices 10 08-27-2012 05:20 PM
Calibre development macellan Calibre 3 05-21-2010 06:36 PM
iLiad How to get started in development? mike b iRex Developer's Corner 9 02-01-2007 03:38 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.