Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #76
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
New question. I ran the KDP Validator and I understood some of the complaints but not these guys. (screenshots) The .epub in question passed Flightcrew and Epub check. Do I need to worry about/fix these other three things? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB
I just checked a couple of azw3s and they had from 2 to 5 items in the guide section. You could try submitting the book to Amazon and see what complaints come back. Or removing the copyright page reference and then submitting.
All of the suspect errors can safely be ignored, IMHO. If you read the early posts in this thread, you can see that several "error" messages reflect SlowSmile's personal preferences, and are sometimes in direct conflict with the published KDP guidelines (e.g. the bruhaha about "cover.xhtml".

That said, to be specific:
1) Extraneous guide items will be ignored by KDP (for now) but won't be a problem.

2) and 3) As for not providing explicit CSS for "p" and "body" elements -- this is (I suppose) merely a stylistic preference of SlowSmile's. Certainly, it is good advice in order to nail everything down, but it can be safely ignored if you don't mind the defaults.

BTW: If anyone can provide actual qoutes from KDP guidelines that contradict my statements, above, please do so and I will be very grateful to be proven wrong.

HTH
Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #77
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
All of the suspect errors can safely be ignored, IMHO. If you read the early posts in this thread, you can see that several "error" messages reflect SlowSmile's personal preferences, and are sometimes in direct conflict with the published KDP guidelines (e.g. the bruhaha about "cover.xhtml".

1) Extraneous guide items will be ignored by KDP (for now) but won't be a problem.

2) and 3) As for not providing explicit CSS for "p" and "body" elements -- this is (I suppose) merely a stylistic preference of SlowSmile's. Certainly, it is good advice in order to nail everything down, but it can be safely ignored if you don't mind the defaults.

BTW: If anyone can provide actual qoutes from KDP guidelines that contradict my statements, above, please do so and I will be very grateful to be proven wrong.

HTH
Albert

No, you're correct. The KDP guidelines have said, at some point in time, only list the cover and the TOC or the TOC and the SRL, in the Guide, but we list all kinds of stuff and we've ne'er had an issue. We always list the Dedication, Foreword, Preface, TOI, etc. Never had a problem.

With regard to the body tag, you have to tread carefully on that; slowsmile's assertion that somehow, using body declarations will affect the LITB has not, to the best of my knowledge, been demonstrated, particularly due to the fact that the LITB seems to correlate to the KF7 coding, not the KF8. Given that KF7 is all HTML, all the time, and NOT CSS, that seems...contraindicated.

With regard to the P class..that's simply opinion. I've seen nothing in the Guidelines that supports that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #78
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I just checked a couple of azw3s and they had from 2 to 5 items in the guide section. You could try submitting the book to Amazon and see what complaints come back. Or removing the copyright page reference and then submitting.
Thanks David. I just submitted a book with those issues and no complaints from Amazon.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #79
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post

HTH
Albert
Thanks Albert. That's good to hear. I'm fine with the default for the "body," and this is what I have in the CSS for the p tags so I don't know why it was complaining about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ptags.png
Views:	277
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	171683  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote