Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:15 AM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@nqk: If you want to sync, you have to tell the viewer which content server user to sync with in the misc preferences of the viewer. As for it requiring an extra tap to adjust the selection I dont see a good way to avoid that, either you have one tap access to notes/colors or one tap access to selection adjust, cant be both. THe copy missing in the content server version is because I have not yet got around to figuring out the javasript clipboard API that will come in time.

@democrite: I'm afraid I am not a fan of one click to create a highlight. Its too easy to accidentally do it.

And after thinking about it, I suspect all these issues just come down to personal preferences, the best way to address them is to allow the user to customize the buttons in the popup bar. So there can be buttons for deleting highlights/for creating highlight with one tap, for opening the highlighter in selection adjust mode instead of notes/colors mode, etc. And if I create this preference setting, I can also create one to disable the popup bar completely for The_Ad and one to change where the search button does its search am surprised no one has asked for that yet
Old 07-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #77
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
One click highlight, one click after selection, I think isn't any more triggered by accident than other buttons such as dictionary, search, or typical selection buttons or contextual menu items for copy paste etc.
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 AM   #78
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
One click highlight, one click after selection, I think isn't any more triggered by accident than other buttons such as dictionary, search, or typical selection buttons or contextual menu items for copy paste etc.
But those dont have permanent side-effects on the book, unlike creating a highlight. In any case see my previous post, the buttons will be configurable and you will be able to add a one-click highlight button if that is what you prefer.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #79
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
With how widely calibre is used I think Kovid could probably create and promote a epub/calibre open highlight standard. Then we can bug the other open source reader developers to adopt it. This would allow in the future for easy transfer of highlights between reading devices and calibre. At the moment as there is no standard way of saving highlights everyone does it their own way so highlights are not easily transferable between different software.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #80
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Now that calibre supports annotations it should hopefully become possible to import/export annots from calibre to different device specific formats. I believe @davidfor has that on his agenda for his annotations plugin.
Advert
Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Now that calibre supports annotations it should hopefully become possible to import/export annots from calibre to different device specific formats. I believe @davidfor has that on his agenda for his annotations plugin.
My intention is to get them from the Kobo readers into calibre as annotations. Sending them back later is the obvious next step. That shouldn't be to hard for epubs, though I haven't looked at how you have implemented things yet. Kepubs will be another issue. To the best of my knowledge, the only other devices this could be done for are the old Sony's. I don't know off anything else that has the full details of the annotations visible when connected.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #82
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

This new version with the (beautiful) popup bar is a significant improvement, and I'm thrilled to hear the conclusion that it will soon be customizable to user preference! Its definitely the correct, and a generally rare, approach since we all have our idiosyncrasies. I'll reserve my remaining popup bar feedback until that has been implemented.

I do, however, have some other suggestions:

1. I support the request for deleting (multiple) highlights in "Browse highlights" - both in the book viewer and in the main calibre Browse Highlights tool as well. The first use case is that I don't need to open the book to view them. The real use-case is that I'm dumb. Sometimes I make a mistake. Sometimes I end up highlighting everything on a page and want to refine them. Sometimes I might just want to consolidate a couple highlights and notes into one. Another reason: because I have about 20 useless/dummy highlights across 5 books right now from trying to test this tool...

2. Allow for editing notes from the main Calibre Browse Annotations tool - again, because then I don’t need to open the book.

3. Allow for exporting notes from the main Browse Annotations tool as well. I know that someone requested exporting multiple books' notes, but I'm satisfied with a single book's notes. Again, to save time from having to open the books.

4. When we are in the Notes Editor, it would be great to be able to just click away from the window and it will save the note. Right now you have to navigate to the Finish button to save a note and if you click away, it returns you to an intermediate highlights mode, where you have to click the checkmark in the top right to exit.

Thanks for the great work!

Last edited by nixsee; 07-27-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #83
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixsee View Post
4. When we are in the Notes Editor, it would be great to be able to just click away from the window and it will save the note. Right now you have to navigate to the Finish button to save a note and if you click away, it returns you to an intermediate highlights mode, where you have to click the checkmark in the top right to exit.

Thanks for the great work!
This may be a problem for those of us who use the "single instance of viewer." Start writing a note, click away from window, get distracted and open another ePub - it opens in the same window and now you've lost your note.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #84
fitnesspm
fitnesspm began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10
Can I run Calibre 5 on a Synology NAS? I want the highlight function.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #85
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnesspm View Post
Can I run Calibre 5 on a Synology NAS? I want the highlight function.
Search for synology NAS in these forums I believe some users have done it.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #86
The_Ad
The_Ad began at the beginning.

Quote:
There is already a shortcut for highlighting ctrl+h. As for disabling the popup bar, am not really keen, its designed to stay off the current line so should not interfere with reading. And adding a preference for it would require creating a whole new section in preferences, which is something I'd rather avoid for just one preference.

EDIT: And I should add that if it becomes necessary to add more preferences in the future I will be happy to add one to turn off the bar.
If creating a whole new section is time consuming and not worthy for just one preferences, I guess it would be better if pop-bar appears after the left mouse button is released while selecting the text.

I assume that would be easy fix for now. Thankyou

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-28-2020 at 05:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 07-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #87
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Using calibre-portable-installer-4.99.8.exe . It works fine.
- The highlight menu is way better then the beta 4.99.7
- Missing a delete highlight button in the popup (the X button only clears the selection)
- Missing a delete ALL highlights in the book button (after reading a book/tech doc we could prefer to just clear all highlights so it looks like an original again or just to share it with others.

BUG?
The translation available is way behind the actual translation from Transifex (and already available in the 2 or 3 latest production versions), sometimes 8 months old (for Portuguese pt-PT). Is this just an update issue or the strings has been changed?

Examples:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-28 11_45_46-calibre _ Transifex Editor.png
Views:	98
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	180959  

Last edited by Horus68; 07-28-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #88
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Horus68: Translations will be updated before final release, not for the betas. For the rest of your issues, see discussion before.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #89
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released version 4.99.9 with the following changes:

0) The viewer now supports books with right-to-left text
1) the selection bar is now fully customizable and can be disabled
2) There are new actions that can be added to the bar for one click highlight and highlight adjusting selections, and removing highlights
3) The selection bar is hidden while mouse dragging is in progress
4) The bug with the browse annotations tool restriction to types not working has been fixed
5) Multi-select is allowed int he viewer highlights panel
6) Copy button in selection bar now present in browser viewer as well

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-28-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #90
The_Ad
The_Ad began at the beginning.

WOW ! That's awesome and fast too.

Everything is working perfectly fine for me.

A tiny little suggestion: In selection mode, as shown in attached image, I guess aesthetically it would be better if those tiny buttons dispersed throughout the window gets arranged in a row(or column) and placed in one place.

Love you Kovid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-28 221244.png
Views:	103
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	180961  
Closed Thread