Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Default Text Size

Is there a way to get the 505 to default to the Medium text size when first opening a book? That is what I use 99% of the time. My reader currently defaults to the small size. Thanks!
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I am looking for same answer, Kindle remembers your preference in this regard, the other thing which is little annoying is when you change size of fonts sony starts formatting it and if it is a large book than it takes its time, even when you have read it in those size fonts before. It does not happen with pdf though
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
I am looking for same answer, Kindle remembers your preference in this regard, the other thing which is little annoying is when you change size of fonts sony starts formatting it and if it is a large book than it takes its time, even when you have read it in those size fonts before. It does not happen with pdf though
There will only be a delay in changing font sizes the first time that you select a particular size font. Reselecting the same font size thereafter should be virtually instantaneous.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Bookathon
Bookaholic

If you turn off sonny and than change your fonts It will reformatt, but in same session it will not, I have seen this behaviour with .lit and .epub files done with calibre. I have to experiment with other files as well
Old 12-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The delay is caused by the Reader "paginating" the book, so yes, if you change the fonts it will certainly need to repaginate.

If you load the book onto the Reader via the "Sony eBook Library" software, your PC will do the pagination in advance, which will eliminate the delay when changing font sizes.
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Bookathon
Bookaholic

It's interesting to know repagination will not happen if book transfered by sony connect, what sony connect does differently which can not be done by calibre?
Old 12-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What is the largest size font for a 505? I just ordered myself one for the e-ink and lightwedge cover, but now wonder if it is still going to be too small for my eyes?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Bookathon
Bookaholic

Sony 505 has three sizes, small, medium and large and frankly large is way too large for me, even though my vision is bad , sony 700 has two more settings above large.

I think if you choose fonts at the time of conversion in caliber, you can have font size you like, I have not tested this though, I am using default 12 and it works out ok
Old 12-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The delay is caused by the Reader "paginating" the book, so yes, if you change the fonts it will certainly need to repaginate.

If you load the book onto the Reader via the "Sony eBook Library" software, your PC will do the pagination in advance, which will eliminate the delay when changing font sizes.
Do you have to do something special in Library to get this to work? Because I always load my books via eBook Library, and I still have the pagination delay the first time I change the font size on the Reader...

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Bookathon
Bookaholic

It is interesting to know that pagination happens even after using sony connect. Kindle does not do that, now I wonder why sony does it, frankly it is annoying
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
It is interesting to know that pagination happens even after using sony connect. Kindle does not do that, now I wonder why sony does it, frankly it is annoying
Because the Sony paginates books - most other devices are not "page based" and hence do not.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Bookathon
Bookaholic

HarryT

Good explanation. Thanks for removing my confusion
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What nobody bothered to mention is that if you use eBook Library to load your eBooks onto the reader, the pagination will be done by your computer and when you change the text size, the reader will not have to do it and it will change size right away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Bookathon
Bookaholic

JSwolf

# 9 message above says he transfers by sony connect but still has pagination issue, now I wonder even more
Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
for my RTF documents I set the font to size 20 arial to avoid needing to change the size. I've found for LRFs made by Calibre that the size 12 Times New Roman font works rather well.

However, size 12 Times New Roman on RTF is WAY too small.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote