Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Initials etc in author names, is there a standard for using period?

I'm just wondering if there is a standard for author initials etc and names like St Amant etc.

Should the initials have a period after them. Should it be St. Amant or St Amant.

I'm trying to standardize but when I download the metadata sometimes the same source will give two different treatments for initials and abbreviations for different books by same author.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a standard for author initials etc and names like St Amant etc.

Should the initials have a period after them. Should it be St. Amant or St Amant.

I'm trying to standardize but when I download the metadata sometimes the same source will give two different treatments for initials and abbreviations for different books by same author.
Kate
The Quality check Plugin has a tool to adjust Author initials to your preffered pattern (I am a A. B. kind a guy)
There is a Preferences: Tweak for which of those are considered titles ID: author_sort_copy_method <-Don't be confused by the name. There are 4 paramaters, most are relevant to this discussion
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

It's up to you what 'standard' you use - like theducks I prefer 'A. B.' over 'A.B.'

But I'm not sure Quality Check helps for the specific case you raise - i.e. St. Amant or St Amant, it's about initials not abbreviations. But, if you mean the French poet Antoine Girard de Saint-Amant then I'd spell it out in full and avoid abbreviation.

On the other hand I'd have Madeleine St John because the St is not an abbreviation. To write Madeleine Saint John or Madeleine Saint-John would be palpably wrong, ergo St. John would be similarly wrong because the '.' implies it's an abbreviation of Saint.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2014 at 04:59 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the anomalies in the language of names makes some weird. Like the De La Whatever names. The montreal phone book is full of last names "de la whatever" "st whatever" "le whatever"

Another think that I find to be a pain is so and so, Jr.

Whan I do a search for names with a comma in them (usually an indicator of last, first name ) and fix them in bulk I find it screws up the ", Jr".

Been thinking of searching for ", Jr and replacing them with " Jr" or "_Jr" lol.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Yeah, the anomalies in the language of names makes some weird. Like the De La Whatever names. The montreal phone book is full of last names "de la whatever" "st whatever" "le whatever"

Another think that I find to be a pain is so and so, Jr.

Whan I do a search for names with a comma in them (usually an indicator of last, first name ) and fix them in bulk I find it screws up the ", Jr".

Been thinking of searching for ", Jr and replacing them with " Jr" or "_Jr" lol.
My easy solution to author last name suffixes is to delete them completely. When I copy/paste the name without the , Jr. , Sr., I, II, III, the bibliographic site whose search box I paste it into usually treats that name without suffix as a pseudonym of the name with suffix. The pre-suffix comma would also be an issue for some settings of the author_sort tweak.

Author sort with the de, de la, etc is an issue. Discussed elsewhere. Needs to be set correctly manually in Manage Authors, on case by case basis.

Dots after initials is another story. I use those because ISFDB likes them pasted into their search box.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-11-2014 at 08:33 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic

I find it is the worst (for any of those cases) in the anthologies. I like to have all the authors listed because then the anthology shows with the list of works by any author. It makes it easier to "grab" all of one authors works if I get on a kick where I want to read everything by one author or if I'm looking for a short story by an author that was in an anthology.

I guess it could be handled by another column lol, for cleanup and management I mean.

A column that indicated the name had a suffix could be used to exclude those names from a search for names with commas which usually indicates the author is in LN, FN order.

I'll think about that the next time I get irritated by a fix that screws something else up