Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #31
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsea View Post
My question is, what's the best cheapest ( I don't care about age ) reader. I like epubs as most my formats already in them. I need older as if if break it is don't want to be out much as it will be thrown in my backpack before getting on the motorcycle to go to work. I was looking at the older Sony readers. Page turns don't bother me really as I read that could be a problem.
I live in a retirement home and I bought a number of Kobo Auras, the original ones, for myself and my neighbors from this Ebay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Aura-Di...jHUogBCEH52XdA

All were in perfect condition and couldn't be told from new. Most even came in new boxes. I suspect some, maybe all, were actually new but i don't really know that.

The original Aura is a fine device. It's screen really isn't as good as a newer Kobo or Kindle but it's still very good. The light isn't as even as later models but it's pretty evenly lit. If you get a good sturdy case for it it should hold up in a backpack, or so it seems to me. I have one with a $8 case but I usually just leave it out of the case and it's often in my pants pocket. I've never damaged one yet.

Personally I think Kindles are nicer devices but you want epub and this does epub and it's pretty nice and cheaper than the used Kindles with a light.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #32
Irishsea
Irishsea began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sorry for not posting, it's been a long week at work. I have ended up buying my friends kobo aura H20 with a slight line through the screen for £10. They live at home, don't have bills, ah to be young again!

My other friend has sourced me a new screen for £25 and will be sending it over to me. And should get here in about a week and a half. So I thought all in all that was a pretty good deal and I was happy with it.

Thank you all.
Irishsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsea View Post
Sorry for not posting, it's been a long week at work. I have ended up buying my friends kobo aura H20 with a slight line through the screen for £10. They live at home, don't have bills, ah to be young again!

My other friend has sourced me a new screen for £25 and will be sending it over to me. And should get here in about a week and a half. So I thought all in all that was a pretty good deal and I was happy with it.

Thank you all.
Sounds like you got a better deal than any of us could recommend. Hope you like your new reader.

Head over to the Kobo forums for all kinds of tips and tweaks. I'm not crazy about the vanilla Kobo experience. But you can customize it to your heart's content.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #34
Irishsea
Irishsea began at the beginning.

Device: None
My luck for once was good, The "kid" I work with (he is 23) has no concept of bills or rent so his pay goes for random things he breaks or wears once or thinks he wants then gives away. But hey, if it makes him happy, by all means live your youth!

My other friend has now said paypal or bank transfers are a pain and that they are just sending the screen to me. So happy days, great thing I can do this kind of repair lol. I am very happy so far in the 20 pages even with the line through the screen. Even though my partner rolled their eyes for my "project". £10 on a ereader, I'll take that and be happy thank you.
Irishsea is offline   Reply With Quote