Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How many purchase from kindle store have you made?
None 13 23.21%
1-2 11 19.64%
3-4 7 12.50%
5-10 9 16.07%
> 10 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
How many books from kindle store have you bought?

Just curious as to the "attach" ratio of sales to kindle.

I have purchased three:
Freakonomics
Lord Valentine's Castle
Peter Rabbit (kindle makes a great storage for story time )

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Kindle hasn't changed my buying habits.

I've purchased 10 ebooks, but only kept 2 textbooks. I prefer to pay extra to buy LIT format elsewhere, and convert. That way I have an archival copy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I got my Kindle on 11/23 and have bought 25 books. All but one nonfiction. Books like:

Musicophilia
The Places In Between
Zen of Fish
Self-Made Man
Heat
Year of Living Biblically
Garlic and Sapphires
The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I share my account with my sister and niece. Between the 3 of us I/we have bought 64 Amazon books (not samples) since Nov 20. And I've downloaded around 30 more from sites like Manybooks and Feedbooks. I've maxed out my Kindle memory and am using the SD card to store old books and make room for more goodies.

I just about always prefer non-fiction. My sister likes gooey murder mystery fiction like Mary Higgins Clark.

Guess I'm addicted.....<sigh>
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I probably have 600 books on my Kindle and only two are from Amazon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

How many books bought from Kindle Store

I really expected to buy most non-free ebooks from other sources than Kindle since I don't like to be part of a captive audience. But like Amazon gives the best bargains in paper books, I have found that the Kindle Store is often much cheaper than the same ebooks from other sources. This is a big disappointment.

Automatically downloaded digital ebooks really are essentially free -- but of course they can't be since that's how money is made. But there's no excuse for pricing them higher than the Kindle Store -- I'll always buy from the lowest cost store when everything else is the same. But the non-Kindle source should also not impact my labor -- they should send the selected ebooks direct to Kindle, as some of them will do already.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I haven't bought any books since I got my Kindle a week ago. The main issue with me is the DRM. I would be happy to pay 50% more if it is drm-free.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
I haven't bought any books since I got my Kindle a week ago. The main issue with me is the DRM. I would be happy to pay 50% more if it is drm-free.
For a reference book I would want DRM-free, but a paperback that I would throw away anyway, give me DRM and cheaper prices.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've only bought one book from Amazon so far --- but then again, I haven't received my Kindle yet. It *might* get here about Valentine's day. I'm stocking up on free books, so far.
I've been using my Palm devices for ereading for 10 years, however -- and I have over $1000 worth of books I've bought at ereader.com. SO ..... when I catch up reading the tail end of those, I"ll be buying from Amazon full steam. I love romances and mysterys.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
geoelectric
geoelectric began at the beginning.

From Amazon:

Complete Idiot's Guide to Philosophy (yeah, yeah, but I wanted a survey)
Freakanomics
Making Money (Pratchett)
Some compendium of Lewis Carroll's stuff that I've requested a return on because it's not split into paragraphs.
SJ Mercury News sub
Onion sub
Buncha samples

From BAEN Free Library, mostly to test out mobi2mobi:

Interstellar Patrol (Anvil)
geoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
JohnClif
Enthusiast
JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, PC/Mobipocket Reader, Palm T3
Buying books from the Kindle Store is addictively easy. I shudder to think how many books I'm going to buy over the next year. I've bought a couple dozen ebooks over the past month, mostly cheaper paperbacks. I've also downloaded a ton of free ebooks from Mobileread and other sites, and made a few ebooks using the Mobipocket Creator and content from Project Gutenberg (they're not really ready for primetime, with no working ToC, or I'd upload them to MobileRead).

Although I've bought a few technical books on the Kindle, I really think I'm leaning towards the physical copy when the ebook is the same price... and we're talking north of $25. This would change if I could get a bigger ereader (something like one of the new Fujitsus shown at CES) where it would make sense to read a technical book.

I'd also like to get an AZW reader for my PC that would be 'keyed' to my Kindle (perhaps tying my Kindle serial # to my Windows license), so I could read my Kindle books on a PC. Shouldn't be a big deal for Amazon to eventually do this, and if the license allows one to share ebooks on up to six Kindles, then this could easily be extended to up to six ereaders regardless of platform.
JohnClif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
@geoelectric -
The Lewis Carroll stuff can probably be had for free from places like Feedbooks.com and gutenberg.org if it's not here in our book section.

@JohnClif -
Yeah. It's just so darned easy. I just finished my 10th Amazon book. The samples get me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #13
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
Post I guess I must be outta my mind

I think I've already bought close to 80 books... Have read 5 of them and simultaneously reading another 4
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The DRM dissuades me from buying books in advance. That's something I normally do at a bookstore since I don't go shopping that often, but often the mood for some of the books pass before I pick them up. That's fine by me with a paper book because I'll most likely get to it eventually. The mood will come around again. With DRM I have no guarantee for the future. Combine that with the ease and speed of acquiring content on a whim and my purchases are all based on what I want to read right now. The samples make it easy to put a book on my "to read" list when I hear of it without actually spending any money. I probably have 20 or 30 samples downloaded. So next time I need something new, there's quite a bit of variety waiting for me. I don't feel a need to pay for any book before I read the sample.

In that vein, I'm curious how the sampling may start to affect publishing if this kind of system takes off. If they have titles where they see a lot of samples downloaded compared to actual purchases that tells them something. I know many editors and writers strive to pull people into a book early on but I wonder if this sort of thing would make that even more important. I know marketing shapes much of the art we enjoy. I just get concerned the stronger the influence gets.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
geoelectric
geoelectric began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
@geoelectric -
The Lewis Carroll stuff can probably be had for free from places like Feedbooks.com and gutenberg.org if it's not here in our book section.

@JohnClif -
Yeah. It's just so darned easy. I just finished my 10th Amazon book. The samples get me.
Alisa,

Yeah, I've since grabbed similar from Feedbooks. This was a rather nice collection in that it was all packed together. The Kindle has rather lousy book management, so that was worth a couple bucks to me. However, not being properly split into paragraphs was a deal-breaker. You couldn't tell from the free sample because only the poems were exposed, not the prose.
geoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote