Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #331
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No, as stated the show titles were part of the images I found. I added the episode information using the plugin.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #332
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exactly - which was my point I was under the impression th eOP may have thought that the "pretty" text was possible to be generated using this plugin, which it isn't. I didn't doubt the other info you had displayed on it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #333
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ah, okay. I just found it odd to hear about hours of graphical artist work (which I am not by ANY means) in relation to the covers. The backgrounds I found were critical to the end result (and I haven't made any real attempt on covers that aren't associated with TV shows for that reason), but they were actually relatively simple to pull together from there. I did find a "Kindle-esqe" cover (black sillouette on blue of person sitting in tall grass reading) that I think would make a pretty good generic cover, but I have avoided following up for fear I won't by happy with the results. I've always preferred photo looking covers...
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #334
rhban
rhban began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Okay. Thanks to both of you now that is cleared up. I haven't got a proper paint/draw program anymore, but I can add the title using Word.
rhban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #335
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Error came up toady:

calibre, version 0.8.64
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:u'seriesText'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.action", line 52, in _generate_cover
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1198, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1307, in apply_options_to_controls
KeyError: u'seriesText'
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #336
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Wyndham - that error is an indication that your Generate Cover json file has somehow got corrupted, or else the upgrade from an earlier version failed. Given that you are the only person reporting this in two months since I last released this plugin it is either something specific to you or you have managed to hit a corner case that over 12,000 other users have not...

It could be revealing to look at your Generate Cover.json file, but tbh I'm just not that bothered . I will push a release shortly that will more gracefully ignore the error so you don't have to edit your file to workaround it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #337
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.5.5 Released

Changes in this release:
  • No longer use a calibre ImageView to preview cover as it has right-click menu and drag/drop not relevant to this plugin
  • Add protection against failed upgrades of the seriesText field.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #338
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Thanks for the responses.

I deleted the plugin and re-installed and all is okay.

I guess it was "just one of those things"
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #339
pmatch1104
Enthusiast
pmatch1104 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Plug-in Update

Is there a way to disable the "1 updated plugins" notification that appears on the lower right side of main interface? I'm happy with the way the Generate Cover works and don't want to update or see the link on the main screen.
pmatch1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #340
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Not upgrading plugins is a really bad idea. I can't support anything other than the "current" version of a plugin, and there is nothing more frustrating than having time wasted on a bug that has already been fixed. Periodically calibre changes things internally which require plugins to be updated as well.

You won't lose any settings when you upgrade a plugin (or at least none of my plugins I can guarantee that with), just like upgrading calibre won't lose your books. So just do the upgrade and the message will disappear.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #341
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Is there an easy way to find all the books with Calibre generated covers?
Easy? No.
But I'm cleaning up a huge library and had to find a better way than going through each entry one by one.
What I did was use VisiPics, a free duplicate image detector, and ran it against (a backup of) my library set loosely enough that it grouped all the Calibre and most the other generic covers together. Then I deleted all the files in those groups.
But Calibre still saw them as having a cover. So I used "Copy to library" to move them all to a new library which updated their cover status (This can be done easier via Library Maintenance. I was also merging dupes as well.) From there, running a search for "cover:false" showed me all the files I needed to generate covers for.

Not a perfect way to do it by any means, and be sure to use a backup of the library as it's very easy to seriously break stuff when playing with library files outside of Calibre, but it worked for me.

Last edited by DedTV; 10-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #342
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
custom text question

if I'm using custom text to pull info from a custom column (long text, like comments, not shown in tag browser), how do I get the plugin to use the "normal" view rather than the "html" view of text?

example:

what I want -

Shalia’s Diary is a Clans of Kalquor story, delivered in journal entries written by the heroine, Shalia Monroe.

what I end up getting on the cover -

<p>Shalia’s Diary is a Clans of Kalquor story, delivered in journal entries written by the heroine, Shalia Monroe.</p>

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
ElizabethN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #343
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I am working on creating simple covers with text only. I use the authors and series/series_index fields, and the custom option to format the title (the order from top-down is author, custom, series). I use very large font size, to fill the whole cover area.

Questions:
- Is there a way to decrease the font size if the custom text overlaps series?
- Is there a way to decrease the font size if the string is getting over the right margin?
- Does the custom text language allow to draw horizontal lines?
- Is there a way to use in custom text {author} with names reversed? i.e. FN LN, not LN, FN? This works in Author, but not with {author} in custom text.

Final question: Is there another way to achieve what I want, that I am not aware?

Thank you.

Last edited by hfpop; 10-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #344
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
on the contents tab, there is a tick box to swap the FN LN
This applies to the standard field only

The 2 standard (author) fields in Calibre, are {authors} <=note the s
and {author_sort}

On the Fonts tab: Tick the Auto-reduce font to fit text on one line
OR
adjust the spacing (more title room) before the series row
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #345
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
hfpop:
I fought my way through this, and the answers are that you cannot create the cover you want directly within calibre. You can create the cover outside calibre and then attach it.

I wrote a script to allow for 6 lines for the title, plus series and author. Linux automatically will parse a string variable 'arr="$titlestring"' into an array form, which allows you to call each item of the array: that is, each word of the string using ${arr[@]}. I parsed the array items (arr[0], arr[1] etc for total length, and chopped the array into sections of less than 33 characters each (for font size 34). Each section went into a new line variable (line 1 through 8). So the title was then a stack of 6 line variables, plus the series and author variable lines. The 8 line variables are echo'd to a file. Unused lines are blank, and the series and author follow the title so blanks are at the bottom. The file is all text and looks like this:
"First bit of the title"
"followed by some"
"more until finished"
"Series 1, No. 2"
"Damned Idiot Writer Name"
""
""
""

This is the input, as "titlefilename" to:

convert -background white -font Liberation Serif --pointsize 34 -fill blue -size 800x340 -gravity North label:@titlefilename label1.png

This creates a rectangular form with the proper text. In this case all text formatting is done beforehand, although there are LOTS of eye-candy extras which can be added (shadow, outline, slanted etc).

The label size is determined by the 800x1200 pixel size of the cover and the depth need for 8 lines. The 'fill' item determines the character colors. Allowable html colors are given here: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp

Then create the actual cover using the background graphic. I sized it to 800x1200. It only has graphical stuff in the bottom 2/3rds leaving lots of room for the label text. The overall background is a very light grey, for visibility.

composite -geometry -10+50 label1.png background.png -blend 90 output1.png

The label is placed 50 pixels down into the background, and moved 10 left to make it center properly (although it is supposed to do that...). In this case the label 'covers' 50 to 390 pixels down into the 'frame'. Note that, except for the text, it is transparent, so the background graphic will show through.

Rename output1.png as desired.

Attach through calibre when creating the epub or use:

ebook-convert oldfile ../epub/newfile --input-profile default --output-profile ipad --input-encoding iso-8859-1 --cover ../cover/output1.png --no-svg-cover --base-font-size 10 --remove-paragraph-spacing --remove-paragraph-spacing-indent-size -1 --unsmarten-punctuation --disable-delete-blank-paragraphs --max-toc-links 0 --no-chapters-in-toc --toc-threshold 0 --author-sort "" --authors "Damned Idiot Writer Name" --publisher "Idiot Press" --title "titlename"

Note that titlename here can be something different (shorter?) than used on the cover. It will appear as the title in calibre's library listings. (So using the Series item might be better.)

It's not actually difficult to do. But the learning *how* to do took a bit of time. If you need help post here. I can provide a stripped down version of my script *for linux* which may not be too useful to you.

Last edited by Dyspeptica; 10-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote