Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #2506
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Apologies if my taste in music offends anyone.
It might offend my co-workers, cuz now I'm going to be singing "carry on my wayward son" all afternoon.

Btw, we replaced our kitchen Dot with the new echo, and I must say, I didn't fully realize how much louder the Echo is! Scared the heck out of me. But, unlike the Dot, at least the Echo can hear us tell her to stop, even while she's at high volume. That's the main reason we swapped them.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #2507
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Like Blossom, I have multiple versions of the same songs by different artists--sometimes I have multiple versions of the same song by the same artist. Seems to me Alexa should be able to ask me which one I want, or even just play one of them. Instead, Alexa doesn't seem to know that any version exists in my library.

I just asked Alexa to play "The Song Is You"; I have at least three versions in my library. Alexa started to play U2's "All I Want Is You." Not quite.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #2508
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Btw, we replaced our kitchen Dot with the new echo, and I must say, I didn't fully realize how much louder the Echo is! Scared the heck out of me. But, unlike the Dot, at least the Echo can hear us tell her to stop, even while she's at high volume. That's the main reason we swapped them.
I work around that problem by positioning the Dot close to where I typically sit, and having the bluetooth speaker it's using across the room with the TV, stereo, etc.. Her "ears" not being in close proximity to her "mouth" solves the "stop" (as well as the "volume down") problem quite nicely.

As to the others' single-song woes: I admit my own library is probably orders of magnitude smaller than yours. Perhaps the library-size alone is a contributing factor. Disappointing if so.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #2509
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As to the others' single-song woes: I admit my own library is probably orders of magnitude smaller than yours. Perhaps the library-size alone is a contributing factor. Disappointing if so.
Mine is actually very small, because I haven't uploaded all the non-Amazon material--all my own rips of hundreds and hundreds of CDs and vinyl. But it is weird, with lots of repetition--I have a lot of show tunes, for example, and might have five or six versions of a show (Broadway, London, Broadway revival, studio cast, movie, etc., etc.). So I can see the difficulty, but I would like to be able to specify the album and song. Or to to be able to say to Alexa, "Play all available versions of 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' from Gypsy," and be able to listen to them.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #2510
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could the Prime thing make a difference? I see both My Music and Prime Music when I look in my Alexa app.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #2511
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Could the Prime thing make a difference? I see both My Music and Prime Music when I look in my Alexa app.
I see those too, as well as Spotify and Pandora and others that I don't use.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #2512
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My Echo and Dot started doing the named timers thing today. I only found out by mistake when the Dot heard the TV as well when I set a timer and named my timer.

It's a useful feature when I'm cooking.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #2513
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Ultimate Product Placement

Just watched the sixth episode of season one of the new Tick series. At one point Arthur (the Tick's sidekick) is tied up in a chair in the lair of the super-villain, The Terror. The Terror makes his grand entrance to this exchange:

The Terror: "Alexa: play ominous music."

Amazon Echo: "Shuffling ominous music."

Well, this new incarnation of The Tick is produced by Amazon, so I shouldn't have been too surprised, but it still made me laugh.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #2514
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just watched the sixth episode of season one of the new Tick series. At one point Arthur (the Tick's sidekick) is tied up in a chair in the lair of the super-villain, The Terror. The Terror makes his grand entrance to this exchange:

The Terror: "Alexa: play ominous music."

Amazon Echo: "Shuffling ominous music."

Well, this new incarnation of The Tick is produced by Amazon, so I shouldn't have been too surprised, but it still made me laugh.
LOL

I've been meaning to check this series out. How does it compare to the Batman series from the 60s in terms of campiness?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #2515
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
LOL

I've been meaning to check this series out. How does it compare to the Batman series from the 60s in terms of campiness?
It's a different kind of campiness from Adam West's Batman.

I never warmed to the first live action incarnation of The Tick, but this one has my interest.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #2516
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Caveat Emptor

...of "Shopping" Polly
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #2517
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
...cheeky bird
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #2518
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Alexa usually gives up fairly quickly when she "misunderstands" me ("hmmm, I don't know how to help you with that."), but I had a fairly lengthy argument with her the other day when trying to get her to resume a paused Prime Video on my FireTV.

"Alexa, resume"
"What would you like me to play?"
"Alexa, I'd like you to resume"
"Alexa, play"
"Alexa, resume video on FireTV"
"Alexa, resume The Kettering Incident"

This went on for number of minutes. I tried to keep it up as long as she would let me, but I finally blinked first and said "Alexa, go Home" and fired the show back up that way. I'm sure someone watching would have thought I'd lost it. I was laughing my butt off before it was over.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #2519
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Alexa usually gives up fairly quickly when she "misunderstands" me ("hmmm, I don't know how to help you with that."), but I had a fairly lengthy argument with her the other day when trying to get her to resume a paused Prime Video on my FireTV.

"Alexa, resume"
"Alexa, I'd like you to resume"
"Alexa, play"
"Alexa, resume video on FireTV"
"Alexa, resume The Kettering Incident"

This went on for number of minutes. I tried to keep it up as long as she would let me, but I finally blinked first and said "Alexa, go Home" and fired the show back up that way. I'm sure someone watching would have thought I'd lost it. I was laughing my butt off before it was over.
She was playing Chicken with you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #2520
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Google's answer to the Dot?
http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...cho-dot-2017-9
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote