Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Panda988
Panda988 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Kobo WiFi & Battery

I got my new wifi Kobo in the mail yesterday, and immediately charged it for approximately 2-3 hours, until the red light turned to blue. Since then I haven't had much opportunity to read, unfortunately, but I did leave the Kobo in sleep state. Just now - so approximately 24 hours after getting it - I went to read for awhile, and there was a battery warning that it was very low. Pretty strange after so little use, no? I have read old threads on the battery issues experienced with the original Kobo prior to updates, but didn't think it would be an issue for me.
Panda988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Try another charge/discharge cycle and see how it goes. The battery on my new wifi version seems to hold up better than on my old original model.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Or indicator behaves unrelated to the matter of fact. It was my
concern on "old" version too. I still look at indicator periodically
and calculate regarding moon faze and tidal map.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
baker
baker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi, itouch 4th gen, Sony S tab
I had the same experience with the new wi-fi. Picked it up at Indigo Monday....charged it for 3 plus hours..read 40 or 50 pages..powered it off and 24 hrs shocked to get low battery warning....charged for 3 plus hours ..played with it for a bit and the charge display promptly dropped to half....have just completed a full charge....if there's a further problem I will reset it and try again before calling Kobo..other than the battery problem I found it a great improvement over the original which I had from from the original launch day
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I still look at indicator periodically
and calculate regarding moon faze and tidal map.

you have a great sense of humour zoran!
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
I had the same experience with the new wi-fi. Picked it up at Indigo Monday....charged it for 3 plus hours..read 40 or 50 pages..powered it off and 24 hrs shocked to get low battery warning....charged for 3 plus hours ..played with it for a bit and the charge display promptly dropped to half....have just completed a full charge....if there's a further problem I will reset it and try again before calling Kobo..other than the battery problem I found it a great improvement over the original which I had from from the original launch day
This doesn't sound good. I expect indicator to go wild, but calibration
should not miss that far. My reader drops periodically and very abrupt.
When on 1 bar it could run for a week. If your device cries for charging,
and above mentioned repeats, call for change.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We found an issue after we shipped the devices that causes it to not always sleep when it is supposed to, even though the sleep screen is displayed.

This can cause the battery to drain faster than it should, which results in the problems you are seeing. We have a fix in testing right now and we will be releasing it on Monday. I have it running on my reader here, and I'm getting much more battery time out of it.

We've also improved the upgrade process on the Kobo Wireless Reader, so it will be super simple to upgrade your device when the update drops, either via the Desktop or WiFi. No 'kung fu grip' or paperclip needed.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Panda988
Panda988 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone, and glad to know that a fix is on it's way. Otherwise I am truly loving my Kobo!
Panda988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
AuroraRob
AuroraRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi - Sony PRS600
First post to this wonderfully informative forum.

I experienced the same thing as Panda988. Bought on Thursday and dead by Saturday. It died just as I was showing the unit to a couple of other "K" reader lovers and explaining how great it is to have a unit where "open platform" isn't feared. Charged it again last night and when I woke up this morning, found the Kobo Wifi to be at around 70% battery. I'm hoping that the fix helps me on Monday because I really like this new unit and I would like to stick with it.

Side note: I noticed that the page turns are a little bit slower on the Kobo Wifi compared to my Sony PRS600 but not slow enough to bother me when reading.

More info: I have not enabled the Wifi yet either

Last edited by AuroraRob; 10-24-2010 at 11:26 AM.
AuroraRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We've also improved the upgrade process on the Kobo Wireless Reader, so it will be super simple to upgrade your device when the update drops, either via the Desktop or WiFi. No 'kung fu grip' or paperclip needed.
I would hope then, that this process is incorporated into the firmware upgrade for the Ko1. Otherwise it will require asking for an SD card image to ensure a successful firmware upgrade.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
zoran
himself

Wifi adapter is hungry beast and I'm not surprised it drains
the battery. Since I have no wireless device, I could speculate
on the topic. Recalling from previous posts, it checks from
time to time if it could update news or whatever. Knowing
pcmcia adapter on my laptop, how it heats and imagining
power saving modes for embedded device, I think the bug
mentioned is the culprit. Some operating systems do allow
not to power adapters not in use, but it is tricky at heart.
I'd wait for upgrade and implement it asap.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I would hope then, that this process is incorporated into the firmware upgrade for the Ko1. Otherwise it will require asking for an SD card image to ensure a successful firmware upgrade.
I assume it mimics what kindle 3 does for upgrade. You simply have
the reader powered on with wifi on. When schedule comes to you, it
upgrades device.
I cannot imagine how they could upgrade our reader, since it has no
knowledge of outside world. We will ask and beg and cry and... Finally,
the No1 on the list is missing: go-to.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
AuroraRob
AuroraRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi - Sony PRS600
Any more word on this update and how to get it? Thanks.
AuroraRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #14
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRob View Post
Any more word on this update and how to get it? Thanks.
It isn't live yet - it will be later this evening. Both the Desktop app and the device itself will let you know when the update is available.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Very close, I can taste it.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote