Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
quality doubts about device & service Pocketbook Germany

Do other people fare better with the Pocketbook Germany service than I have? Initially, I was quite happy with the PB360 I received in February. Most of the good things people say about them are true: it's nicely designed, handy, small, and much more configurable than a bigger brand ereader like Sony's.

But for some reason mine stopped functioning properly somewhere in May. This was not because of a firmware update -- mine already started flunking out with 14.2. No matter what I tried, I kept having to reset the thing several times a day, and at the end it wasn't possible to read for more than a few pages without having to reset.

On the forum it was suggested it *might* have to do with a faulty battery. I e-mailed Pocketbook and they promised to send a replacement battery.

This never showed up, and ever since then their main line of action to an e-mail with a question seems to be to just let it rest, or - after repeated e-mails - reply briefly with a noncommittal comment in the hope that the complaint will just disappear.

I tried several solutions to fix the spontaneous reboot and freezing problems of the device (firmware upgrade, downgrade, switch fbreader, different configuration options), none worked. After weeks and weeks of this, and again on the advice of someone from PB on the forum, on 29 June I sent the device to the Pocketbook Centre in Germany. I sent it to the right address, but the package is undeliverable. I can follow its progress on a track&trace page: either the address doesn't exist or they refuse to accept it.

When I e-mailed about this, all the reply I got was "something went wrong". Well, obviously. It seems the ereader is on its way back to me, "return to sender". If ever 15 euro's for postage & packaging went down the drain, they sure did here.

I'm really sorry now that earlier this year I enthusiastically recommended this device to people. Not only did it seem to good to be true (cheaper *and* more configurable than major brands), now it's beginning to seem to me it *is* too good to be true. After a month or two the device basically conked out. I haven't been able to read a book on the PB360 for over two months, and the company (it's not just two boys in a garage, surely?) doesn't respond.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Do other people fare better with the Pocketbook Germany service than I have? Initially, I was quite happy with the PB360 I received in February. Most of the good things people say about them are true: it's nicely designed, handy, small, and much more configurable than a bigger brand ereader like Sony's.

But for some reason mine stopped functioning properly somewhere in May. This was not because of a firmware update -- mine already started flunking out with 14.2. No matter what I tried, I kept having to reset the thing several times a day, and at the end it wasn't possible to read for more than a few pages without having to reset.

On the forum it was suggested it *might* have to do with a faulty battery. I e-mailed Pocketbook and they promised to send a replacement battery.

This never showed up, and ever since then their main line of action to an e-mail with a question seems to be to just let it rest, or - after repeated e-mails - reply briefly with a noncommittal comment in the hope that the complaint will just disappear.

I tried several solutions to fix the spontaneous reboot and freezing problems of the device (firmware upgrade, downgrade, switch fbreader, different configuration options), none worked. After weeks and weeks of this, and again on the advice of someone from PB on the forum, on 29 June I sent the device to the Pocketbook Centre in Germany. I sent it to the right address, but the package is undeliverable. I can follow its progress on a track&trace page: either the address doesn't exist or they refuse to accept it.

When I e-mailed about this, all the reply I got was "something went wrong". Well, obviously. It seems the ereader is on its way back to me, "return to sender". If ever 15 euro's for postage & packaging went down the drain, they sure did here.

I'm really sorry now that earlier this year I enthusiastically recommended this device to people. Not only did it seem to good to be true (cheaper *and* more configurable than major brands), now it's beginning to seem to me it *is* too good to be true. After a month or two the device basically conked out. I haven't been able to read a book on the PB360 for over two months, and the company (it's not just two boys in a garage, surely?) doesn't respond.
Frank, this really seems to have been gone all wrong for you. What I know is that there's always (during the office hours) someone who takes packages so there has REALLY been something wrong with your carrier or your address. Be that as it may, if you get the reader back, please resend it to us again:

Pocketbook Readers GmbH
Humboldtstr. 154
90459 Nürnberg
Deutschland

and we will repay you those 15 euros. Please accept our apologies even if I don't see what we could have changed.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll see. Right now, the status of the package on the website has changed again, to "Sendung in verkehrter Route; Zustellung 1 Tag später", but it's unclear whether they mean Zustellung to me or zustellung to the Humboldtstrasse.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I'll see. Right now, the status of the package on the website has changed again, to "Sendung in verkehrter Route; Zustellung 1 Tag später", but it's unclear whether they mean Zustellung to me or zustellung to the Humboldtstrasse.
Well, clearly the carrier sucks big time.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
franklekens
Addict

I'm not sure. The message was confusing, but nothing was wrong. I received the package back today. I don't know who TNT's partner in Germany is, or if they operate there themselves; but here they're certainly better than some of their cutthroat rate competitors.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
I apologize for the problem. Our hours are 10:00 to 18:00, and at this time no do not bring your parcel, in addition, we were not left a message on TNT that they come sooner or later. This is obviously a mistake TNT, we regularly come packages of other courier companies, and never had any problems with delivery.

Despite the fact that we did not accept the blame for the fact that the parcel was not delivered, we'll take care of all your shipping costs, ie refund you already spent 15 euros, as well as send an additional 20 euros in order for you to send a packet again. Please send your bank account number on info@pocketbook.de. The request for an opportunity to use another courier company, as well as inform us parcel number, so that we have sent a complaint to the TNT.
Immediately upon receipt of your Reader, we will send you a new replacement.

Sincerely,
Anatoli Loucher

Managing director Pocketbook Europe

Last edited by Forkosigan; 07-24-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
I apologize for the problem. Our hours are 10:00 to 18:00, and at this time no do not bring your parcel, in addition, we were not left a message on TNT that they come sooner or later. This is obviously a mistake TNT, we regularly come packages of other courier companies, and never had any problems with delivery.

Despite the fact that we did not accept the blame for the fact that the parcel was not delivered, we'll take care of all your shipping costs, ie refund you already spent 15 euros, as well as send an additional 20 euros in order for you to send a packet again. Please send your bank account number on info@pocketbook.de. The request for an opportunity to use another courier company, as well as inform us parcel number, so that we have sent a complaint to the TNT.
Immediately upon receipt of your Reader, we will send you a new replacement.

Sincerely,
Anatoli Loucher

Managing director Pocketbook Europe
Wow! That is really very good service from Pocketbook, Mr. Loucher.
For sure, you will get my order for PB901 / 902!!
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
Wow! That is really very good service from Pocketbook, Mr. Loucher.
For sure, you will get my order for PB901 / 902!!
Wait until franklekens reports that he really has received working unit. Talk is easy and it seems franklekens has been lied to about sending him new battery which he never received. Also blaming delivery company sounds quite fishy to me.

I would not trust this company until it has been verified that this time they have done what they promised. Even then two months and several forum posts is too much to replace faulty device. I would no longer recommend buying Pocketbook unless you have local seller.

When I bought my PB360 from Pocketgoods.de I got very fast and precise answers. Now when someone has trouble with the device it takes two months and they barely answer his emails. This truly sounds fishy.

Last edited by Kameli; 07-27-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Yes, Franklekens feedback at the end is important.

I too didn't like the situation that they did not respond properly and timely to his emails and he has to come here and write. Only someone from pocketbook service can clarify on this. The best would have been, if they responded to his email with the offer to the replace the faulty unit with new one like they offered him now. I am happy, atleast they realise now and offer to solve his problem.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
franklekens
Addict

I wasn't too pleased, which is why I reported here; but shit happens, especially in new technology companies that experience unexpected growth. (For instance.)

I'd like to thank Mr Loucher for his kind offer. Reimbursing the postage is nice, but a functioning reader will do for me. I really like the PB and would like to have a working copy if it. Besides, the mail carrier would probably reimburse me if they find they're at fault. I've resent the package & lodge a query/complaint with the mail carrier; I think it's the sender that has to lodge the complaint, at least that's what they said once when I wanted to complain about not having *received* a package.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any new info about this? It has soon been couple of weeks from their response. It should have progressed some if they are serious.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
Any new info about this? It has soon been couple of weeks from their response. It should have progressed some if they are serious.
We have not received no reader, no information that sent him.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Forkosigan
Wizard

Edit, just got a letter that the reader has been sent.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #14
franklekens
Addict

Sorry, I was away from the forum. With TNT certified mail, yes. Been a while now, about two weeks. If after a month or so I get it back once again from TNT, maybe I'll try UPS. For consumers, there's a limited choice of mail carriers to choose from, I think. Interesting way to get acquainted with Europe's postal systems, however.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I had similar problems with my 360 as Frank, sent it back and received a "repaired" device with 15.2, which had the same problems as before. Then I sent it back again and got a new device with 14.2, which has been working fine. So all in all I am satisfied with PB service here in Germany. And as I have said before, my free advice to all reader manufacturers is to think less about innovations and "improvements" and much more about stability and reliability (which includes service). People who buy ereaders, at least at their current prices, want something that they can use reliably for a few years at least.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote