Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
kencheng8
kendo
kencheng8 began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Angry PDF only works once !!!

Can anybody help. JUst got iliad, its great.
Have loaded some pdfs, but some of them will allow me to open them the first time, then I cannot open them again, the screen loads up as if normal but screen blinks and I am back to selection screen

If I replace the pdf with the original the I can again only open it once
The files are on a CF card, I can open it no problems using from card reader.

Help
kencheng8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencheng8
Can anybody help. JUst got iliad, its great.
Have loaded some pdfs, but some of them will allow me to open them the first time, then I cannot open them again, the screen loads up as if normal but screen blinks and I am back to selection screen

If I replace the pdf with the original the I can again only open it once
The files are on a CF card, I can open it no problems using from card reader.

Help
Did you fill up the card?

When the iLiad first opens a PDF, it creates a directory, moves (copies first?) the PDF to that directory and creates a manifest.xml file (very small).

So you need to make sure that you have enough room for 2 of your PDFs, plus a little more. Once the directory and manifest.xml file is created, it won't take up any more space.

Perhaps the reason that the PDF doesn't work after you open it the first time is that it got corrupted because there wasn't enough room on the card.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
DSo you need to make sure that you have enough room for 2 of your PDFs, plus a little more.
Do you really think, that they COPY the file first? That would be ... aehm ...
But hey, you never know. Someone should test that.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Do you really think, that they COPY the file first? That would be ... aehm ...
But hey, you never know. Someone should test that.
I don't know. I'm making a fairly educated guess as to why kencheng8 would have the problem.

If that's what the iLiad does, it would explain what he's seeing.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
kencheng8
kendo

Hi

I have a 1GB CF card, its only about 1/5 full so I know there is plenty of space.

Ken
Advert
Old 09-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencheng8
I have a 1GB CF card, its only about 1/5 full so I know there is plenty of space.
Oh well, so much for that theory.

Do you remove the card right after closing the document? I wonder if there is an issue with the syncing of the file system and the removal of the card.

I know that, generally, Linux needs to finish syncing the file system before you can remove the card or the file system may be corrupted. I had similar issues when I kept my documents on the SD card.

Can you put the PDF in the internal memory rather than on the CF card?

Another thing you can check is after successfully opening the PDF, check the file system, the PDF and the manifest.xml file on your PC.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Then it probably has to do with the filename. Are there any special chars in the filename? Or is the filename very long? Then the filename might be different in the manifest.xml then the real filename, and that probably leads to the problem, because the pdf viewer cant open the file named in the manifest, because its just not existent.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Then it probably has to do with the filename. Are there any special chars in the filename? Or is the filename very long? Then the filename might be different in the manifest.xml then the real filename, and that probably leads to the problem, because the pdf viewer cant open the file named in the manifest, because its just not existent.
Oooo.... Never thought of that. Yes... "Strange" characters (pretty much everything but letters numbers and underscores are suspect) could have a problem. Maybe even something like a "%3E", for example, which might get encoded to ">" when it shouldn't.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
iLiad doensn't like a "&" in filename for example. iLiad opens this file the first time, then never again [manifest problem].
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Well, if that is the case, or should I say special character, I need to change some filenames.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:16 AM   #11
kencheng8
kendo

Wink

Hi

Thanks for all the advice, it was the filename in the xml file, have changed it manually to match the pdf file name and it works

Ken
Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
After this thread I also found out ' is a problem. An .htm file would not open at all with it, renamed the file and the problem went away.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote