Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #76
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Grace View Post
Thank you everyone for your help! Next question is, are you liking your Kindle?
Is this the thread for that please?
I love my kindle...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #77
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I love my kindle...
Hehe, excellent reply
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #78
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
After having ran out of battery several times on my Kindle I've decided to order a wall charger for Europe directly from Amazon U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y27P5K/

$20 for a wall charger isn't to bad but when I saw the shipping $20 to Norway, that's just insane, talk about rip off.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #79
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
After having ran out of battery several times on my Kindle I've decided to order a wall charger for Europe directly from Amazon U.S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y27P5K/

$20 for a wall charger isn't to bad but when I saw the shipping $20 to Norway, that's just insane, talk about rip off.
You forgot the import fees, which is added on top of those 2x 20 USD - at least it is for Denmark (not sure about Norway, since you're not in EU)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #80
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're allowed to import goods for a value of 200nok/$30 to Norway before any taxes is charged. But you're right Amazon charges me for the tax when ordering $10, but these money will be paid back. The total amount I paid was $50, quite outrageous when shipping and tax outweighs the price of the gadget itself.
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #81
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're allowed to import goods for a value of 200nok/$30 to Norway before any taxes is charged. But you're right Amazon charges me for the tax when ordering $10, but these money will be paid back. The total amount I paid was $50, quite outrageous when shipping and tax outweighs the price of the gadget itself.
Don't you have to pay tax on the shipping as well? With 40 USD you'd be over the allowed amount. I think the amount we're allowed in Denmark is the ridiculously low amount of about 80-85 DKK.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #82
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Don't you have to pay tax on the shipping as well? With 40 USD you'd be over the allowed amount. I think the amount we're allowed in Denmark is the ridiculously low amount of about 80-85 DKK.
In Norway you only start paying taxes if the value of the item exceeds $30, the shipping is not taken into consideration. So in this case the item minus the shipping is below the taxfree limit. However you're right that if the item exceeds $30 you pay taxes on both the value of the item and the shipping.

Stupid to pay taxes on the shipping but that's the way it is.

I thought we had it bad with a limit of 200nok 85dkk doesn't get you far.
It's been up for debate in Norway to increase the amount but no politician dare to change it cause of local merchants lobbying not to increase it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #83
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
I thought we had it bad with a limit of 200nok 85dkk doesn't get you far.
Since shipping is included, the amount is so small that it's virtually impossible to buy anything.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #84
thinkpad
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Since shipping is included, the amount is so small that it's virtually impossible to buy anything.
I feel with you. 85dkk doesn't get you very far. But your country is at least member of the EU, taxfree within EU. I can't even order a thing from Sweden without ending paying taxes

And to put it mildly EU isn't even on the agenda for Norway, they've got to much oil for that.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #85
thinkpad
David

The charger arrived earlier this week, very fast shipping. I think its so much easier to use the wall charger than to charge the Kindle through the laptop so it was well worth the money. It's got a very small form factor and will be easy to bring along when travelling.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #86
Ea
Wizard

That's great I've been using the US style charger shipped with the Kindle with an adapter - but that's a somewhat clumsy solution. I guess I really can't convince myself to pay that much for a wall charger (but then I often charge from the computer anyway).
Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #87
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
I have a Blackberry Curve 8530 and my wife has a Palm Pixi. Both chargers work fine for charging my Kindle, and vice versa (Kindle charger charges them). Its so nice to have everything interchangable.

Warning with buying extra chargers - I have not had good success with the cheapo chargers you get from Walmart, etc. It seems that this is one area where the OEM products have a significant advantage over aftermarket models.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #88
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Ok...

So...I read the whole thread and kind of lazy to check and review my old Engineering books ;-)

Cannot find my Kindle 3 wall adapter (I do have the USB cable though) can I safely charge my Kindle 3 or Kindle DXG with my HTC HD2 wall adapter?

Here are the details:

HTC HD2
Output 5.0 Volts, 1 Amps

Kindle 3 (I think these are the standards)
Output 4.9 Volts, 0.85 Amps

If I recall well, as long as voltage is close enough there should be no issues. But after reading the whole thread it looks like that could be not enough.

Thanks in advance,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #89
JawsOnt
JawsOnt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Colour (rooted), Kindle 3
I've used my Nook Colour's Wall-USB charger successfully on the Kindle 3 (it showed full charge afterwards):
INPUT: 120-240V 0.5A
OUTPUT: 5V (-) 1.9A

That said - the Kindle had problems being recognized on my wife's comp. afterwards until a hard shutdown. It could be coincidental and it's just her XP box (I didn't try it on my box and hers is a bit of a frankenstein machine).
JawsOnt is offline   Reply With Quote